mnflyfisher

Darkhouse Spearing Decoys

I'm looking for any information from anyone who dabbles with these. What do you find works best to use for fins? Where do you get it and how to you cut/shape them? Glue them into the body? I believe copper seems to be the most common, but what thickness? I have actually used lexan lips with some success. I would like to hear what others have found works well.

Any good ways for weighting them besides using/placing enough lead to make it sink/swim at your preferred rate? Maybe use a denser/harder wood? Also, fin position so that they swim correctly? I imagine the fins are placed near the center of balance. At least that is what I did with this one and it seems to swim okay.

I made this one with lexan fins that flip up and hold at 90 degrees to the body when the decoy is falling, and then they drop down when you jig it up. It's different, but you can't keep pumping it like a regular decoy to make it glide continuously, once you jig it up the fins drop so the action there is lost and it swings back to the center of the hole - not that that's a bad thing - but I think I like the continuous glide of the fixed fins better. For the tail, I just used the same metal tails that are used on the suick jerk baits since that is what I had lying around.

3154500397_3172c360af_o.jpg

3154500425_d17d852384_o.jpg

kinda new to it myself. Please check out my decoys in the gallery I have about 5 or six of them. I use about 020 copper glued in where needed. If Im putting a line tie thru the dorsal I pin the fin as well as glue. I also pour my lead in and remove just enough to make it sink forward slightly and slowly. Hope this helps

Usually the spearer just uses a long steel spear with 7 or so tines, and has a rope on the end so it can be retrieved after throwing at a fish. I think it would be a little cold under the ice to use a spear gun...it could be done I guess if you had scuba gear and a tether rope back to the hole in the ice that you went in... I would rather just sit in the spear house and be warm.