Dweller

Gluing Baits Together

Not sure what you're gluing together exactly, and that matters. I use Devcon 5 Minute to glue split balsa baits together. It also works on lips and screw eyes BUT it will turn brown over time so you don't want any squeeze-out on the surface of the lure. Devcon 2 Ton can be used for lips and screws also but it hardens slower. If you want something that's really strong and will fill any voids without dripping out, try some Rod Bond paste epoxy. It has a very long work time (2 hours) but still cures out in 24 hrs. I use it when I have to install lips and screw eyes in a batch of baits and don't want to be mixing little batches of Devcon 5 Minute every 5 minutes. If you remove a lip and want to fill in the void, an epoxy putty stick works well and cures hard in about 5 minutes. The putty stick is also a good fast solution for dressing over body holes where you inserted ballast.

Not to Hijack this thread, but I have been using Gorilla glue to set my hook hangers and line tie. It works great, no mixing small amounts of epoxy, plus the little hole on the tip is perfect for sqeezing the glue straight into the hole! Let it dry completely then use a hobby knife to cut the dried stuff away! A little sanding and your done. I hung a a bait up with a 25# weight hanging from it, and it held just fine. Plus after you finish your bait with epoxy it will never move!! Just my :twocents:

Gorrila super glue (or any other super glue gel). It's fast (I leave clamped for about 4 min.), its not messy unless you get sloppy, and it slightly penetrates the wood to alloy a wicked chemical bond. I use super glue for almost everything. On hinge pieces and lips I will coat with epoxy to prevent any water sepage. Nevertheless, I've never had any bait failures (unless I bashed a bridge piling a few too many times and broke the lip).