pikeman

Vertical action

Think there might be a thread or two around this subject but couldn't find them (don't know what words should I use for the search engine :o )

I want to build a floating , deep diving lure , but I want also this lure to work when I stop it and it rise towards the surface. Initially I thought that the lip should be concave (as over here http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hardbait-how/13549-polycarbonate-lexan-lip-former.html ) for helping the lure to have a rolling (move its sides) effect while it rises. My problem comes when I want to design the body and I was thinking that a large back and a narrow belly will be the best choice. But I want to see if anyone got a maximum rising action as a sum between a particularly lip shape and a body shape

Edited by pikeman

The same forces that are in action during the retrieval, to generate the lures action, are working when the lure sinks or rises. The problem is still the speed. If too slow, the action will not happen.

I suggest fill a 5 gal bucket and try some of your existing lures. Add some lead to the belly hook to vary the speed and make notes.

Rough out a quick body and some lips, as described by Haz (good post Pete), add some weight and test. If you glue the lips in with a silicon glue or rubber glue, you can quickly change the lips and do the next test.

Put some measure marks on the bucket and time the rise rates, make notes. Collect all the information and post it here, so we can all learn something new and interesting.

As for the concave/convex/flat issue, I experimented with this a while back, but cannot remember the results. I did not build anything, I just moved a spoon and a knife up and down in the bucket. This simple experiment will give you some ideas straight away, without having to do any more than fill a bucket and get your hands wet.

Good luck with this project and I look forward to reading your findings in a thread.

Dave

I was looking at this particular lure , does anyone from the musky boys community ever used it :

http://www.vlasenko.ru/New-man/0918-r02.jpg

it is called Zalt, used for pike fishing and it has an interesting shape especially it's back

This project also has as target the pike, a lure that goes down , and vibrates as it rises too

Also I have in mind to try another shape with a concavity on the head as this one from Rapala :

http://www.okonek.com.pl/images/przynety/Rap_Rattlin.jpg

and o concave lip continuing the shape from the head ... think the water filled bucket will be my home for this project :lol::whistle:

it is all concave (back+lip) vs all convex

Edited by pikeman

@ pikeman

The "Zalt" is a famous Swedish lure , that obviously has quite a large fan community amongst European pike anglers .

As far as I am concerned , they are available in just a few sizes and in floating and sinking versions .

The "Zalt" does not wiggle at a high frequency , but comes lazily rolling and tailshaking back in .

Best way fishing them is making twitches with the rod , the lure would then break out sideward , sending out a certain flash with its belly , almost corkscrewing , but thus not overturning .

Watched this on a DVD before , for some reason I don't belong to the fans of this one , though I have 2 or 3 knock-offs:huh:!

greetz , diemai

You can see how that 'Zalt' would be balanced on the rise, with the front and rear lip, very cunning design, and from what Diemai says, sounds like it has the same characteristics as a 'flatfish'. I have also seen pictures of that Rapala with the tunnel through the head, but never seen in the flesh, very radical, and would be interesting to see in the water.pete

@ benton B

Lures made of a denser kinda wood wiggle more sluggish than lookalikes made of balsa or similar lighter material .

Also heavily weighted lightwood lures act more sluggish , found out about this when I first purchased the "Rapala Super Shad Rap" sinking versions , which were new in maybe 2005 .

These are exactly same shape and material(Balsa)like the famous floating "Super Shad Rap" , but are about 3/4's more in weight .

Well , whereas the floating version starts to wiggle instantly as you start the retrieve , the sinking version needs a certain retrieve distance to "kick" to work , about 3 to 4 feet !

Also the wiggle is not as pronounced and of slightly lower frequency .

@ hazmail

Roughly the "Zalt" acts like a "Flatfish" , same kind of moves , but at a much lower frequency .

When retrieving a "Flatfish" , the rod tip would almost vibrate , with a steady retieve of a "Zalt" it would only swing up and down a bit periodically .

greetz , diemai