teenbean

Cracking Paint After Using Dick Nite Clear Coat...HELP!

It sounds to me that your paint isn't dry. I use Createx paints, and heat setting that works. I also was told by Dean that you should shoot a clear acrylic over paint (createx gloss top coat for me) Then heat set then dip. A word of advice If dipping a second time make sure dicks top coat is dry, I wait 24hrs, although 12 may be enough, because that will eat your first finish and make a real mess.

I lost about 25 baits that way once trying to get in a hurry.

Take your time on each step, to much work goes into these to ruin in the last stage.

Teenbean

Don't get in a hurry ... Yep we have all done this !!!! Let your paint dry and another key is to not paint a real heavy coat on your baits at one time .. ie - Paint a light coat - Heat Set - then you can paint a heavier coating then HEAT SET again ... Several light sprays is much better than one heavy spray with a lot of paint at one time.. You will have a harder time getting the paint dry with a heavy coat. I have a couple of colors of Createx that seems to take longer to dry .. We all want to get the finished one done quickly but the old saying " Been there done that" on not letting it dry completly .. Another learning process in our hobby of "Making Baits"

Good Luck

Boone

Been there, done that! A similar problem to wet paint can arise with Dick Nite if you put too much on the bait and then immediately put it on a lure turner. The DN forms a skin very quickly but there is still liquid DN underneath it, sloshing back and forth on the paint until it wrinkles, cracks, or bubbles. If you dip lures in DN, make sure to drip off all the excess on a newspaper before you put it on the turner. If you spray or brush it, make sure you do uniform thin coats. If you do multiple coats, wait 24 hrs between each. If your wrinkles are toward the tail of the bait, that's usually symptomatic of the problem.