SHOWMEBASSIN

Chrome airbrush paint

I have had this one in my 'favourites' for a while which sounds interesting, in that they recommend their 'top coating', maybe you can epoxy over that.

I also note the any chrome lures you see, 'Flatfish' etc, don't seem to have any thick top coat and usually scratch pretty easily, which tells me, that if there was a chrome available that could be toughened with a top coat, the big manufacturers would be using it (i.e. a tougher top coat). pete

Chrome Clear Paint Kits :: Chrome Paints :: Paint Products :: Kustom Rides

A durable chrome finish is impossible to find. All "chrome" paint finishes are made with what's called leafing aluminum pigment. It's small flakes of aluminum coated with stearic acid to make them "leaf" and orient side by side to give the appearance of a continuous film. The problem is that the flakes are completely coated with stearic acid that acts as a lubricant. If you've ever ran your nail across one of those finishes, you'll notice a waxy substance on top. That's the stearic acid. If apply a clear on top, almost any one will eat the stearic acid off and then the flake edges start to pull apart, giving you a dull grey color. There are a few clear systems that will cover the leafing aluminum without disrupting the acid, but then the clear is just resting on the surface of the waxy acid, and you really don't have any adhesion. Slightest blemish in the clear and it will all delaminate in no time. You're best off with foil or I use Autoair coarse aluminum base as a descent chrome reproduction.

I have used FASKOLOR Chrome (made by Parma) which I bought at HobbyTown. It is a paint sold for use on model cars and is labeled as "Paint for Lexan Model Car Bodies & Other Surfaces".

It is basically a flake/pearl paint but it is about the shiniest silver I have found. You can do some interesting things with it and it can add a nice touch for a citrus shad look as the base color or if you use it as an overspray to add a touch of a flake look.

It can be clear coated easily but as others have stated it does loose some of the 'pop' once clear coated with epoxies. I wish I knew what it looked like with an automotive clear. But it is not smooth Chrome like you might want. It is basically the brightest silver pearl I have used. Make sure you use a large tip as the flake/pigment is a bit large.