overspray

epoxy primer

I posted this in the wire bait forum, but thought I'd try here as well. Thought you guys might have some experience with this, maybe more knowledge with airbrushes.I've been making buzzbaits and spinnerbaits for a few years now, been hand painting the heads buy hand with a brush, but it gets to be very time consuming so I'm going to start using an airbrush. My question is what epoxy primer do you use to prime the lead with, one that sprays through an airbrush? I've been using automotive paints and primer to paint with, but dont think they would spray through the airbrush, any thoughts on this.Still looking for a brush also, but don't want to dump a lot of cash on one right now, until I get the hang of it. I'm sure the airbrush thing has been discussed to death, I know I want a duel action gravity feed, just not sure which one.

I don't know anyone who shoots epoxy through an airbrush. When I paint lead heads, I shoot a highly pigmented water based acrylic like Polytranspar Superhide white as a color basecoat on the lead and then acrylic colors. The paint will stay on there as long as the clearcoat stays intact. For that, I dip the head in 2-3 coats of Dick Nite Fishermun's Lurecoat. If I did lots of lead heads, I might look around for a more durable paint system but this works for me and uses coatings that I'm familiar with from painting crankbaits.

I also shoot PPG Shop Line epoxy primer. I use a Paasche H with a #5 tip And reduce 10% wih med reducer. I use as low pressure as I can with the tip opened up big. It is tough as nails primer but after priming you are supposed to apply the finish coat with in a week so the paint can etch in before the primer gets real hard. If I know it will be a while before I will be painting I put a quick light coat of base coat white on and they can sit for an extended time.

Try Bulldog Adheasive Promotor on your lead.. than shoot it with Auto Air white base sealer as your primer.. NOW IF IM WRONG!!! dont beat me up.. but I have a hard time getting the paint off my eye screws with a dremmel after I clear coat them.. so my guess is it will stick to your lead.. just a guess.. Im no expert but I did sleep at a holiday inn last night.

The Rookie