MuskyAl

Whackers

I was just wonderring how to seal the tail on a tallywhacker type of bait. should I use devcon to seal it and how do I keep the hole or the rivets from sealling shut completely? Also, should I use JUST epoxy to hold the tail in, or should I use some other way to secure it? I would appriciate any and all advise here, Thanks!!!

P.S. As I am sitting here typing this, my wife is trying to scan the bait in question... any suggestions on how to best scan a bait?? lol

I'm assuming the tail section looks like a TopRaider. What I did is epoxy everything while it is apart. This includes the tail. You are right you don't want any epoxy inside the rivet or else your bait won't spin. I used aluminum flashing for the tail - I should have used stainless sheet stock. The aluminum, although it won't rust was just too thin. The epoxy held it in just fine though.

After your bait is epoxied you can assemble using through wire construction. Don't forget to add a bead or some sort of bearing between the head and tail and make sure it's bigger than the rivet hole.

Thanks lunge. I used a tail that I bought from a tackleshop. I can pick up most anything there for making any kind of musky lure. I had planned on using the epoxy before putting it together. I will try your idea and just use the epoxy to hold the tail. I was just wonderring how if there was a trick to keeping the epoxy out of the rivets. hopefully if I just keep spinning the lure it will work.

We are still working on scanning the lure, it keeps coming in extremely blury since the bait doesn't sitt tight against the scanner. Thanks again.

I just made a TalllyWhacker type bait also . I had the same dilema. What I ended up doing is taking two screw hooks(one for each opening). Approx. the same size as the through wire hole. Screwed them in to each opening and used the hooks to attach the tail section to the drying machine. When it was dry,I just unscrewed the hooks, did a little trimming of the epoxy flash and inserted my rivets. Worked great.