pikeman

90 degrees and epoxy

I've read some weeks ago (sorry didn't payed attention) that someone managed to solve the problem of epoxy running from the 90 degrees angles , I have a particular lure that I'm not interested in rounding the front edges and I need some advice for devcon2ton to cover those angles. Maybe somehow a second topcoat only on those areas ?

Thanks

Epoxy draws away from sharp edges, 90 degrees or otherwise. It will look OK but the coating on the edge is very thin. That may not be a big problem on areas that see little abrasion, like around the head. If you do a second application only on the edges, I feel you are ending up with a rounded edge anyway - rounded epoxy versus rounded wood. I guess it's a matter of what you are trying to preserve - the look of the bait or the action that the sharp edge is producing. If it's a continuing problem, you might switch to a different clearcoat, like Dick Nite polyurethane, or whatever.

If my memory serves me right, someone said, long ago, that the way to go to solve this problem is to apply 5 min. epoxy first, on the edges only, then coat the lure with Devcon 2T. After the 5 min. epoxy sets up, you can correct the thickness of the epoxy with sanding paper glued on a smooth surface, and you leave it thick on the very edges you want to apply it to.

The problem you might run into, is that 5 min epoxy may change color in time, becoming darker. You may try using Devcon 2 ton for the first coat on the edges only, but since it needs longer time to set, you may have some surprises - it may run.

Anyway, Vodkaman is right, you need to coat the edges first, correct the thickness of the epoxy, if you think it necessary, then go with the final coat of epoxy.