muskietom51

SS wire didnt work

Hey guys just curious to what different types of wire you use for wire through baits. I built 4 baits wire throught (muskie baits) and use ss wire with the wire going through the lip, bending it was really hard an broke one of the wires from the bend, need a wire more plyable any suggestion would be great, I'll check make afterwork. Thanks Tom

Not all SS wires are the same , since there are a lot of different alloys around for different purposes......seems that you have caught quite a rigid and firm material .

I use welding wire in 1,0 mm dia. , for bigger lures 1,5 mm .

That wire comes in 1 metre rods and is quite flexible , but still strong enough to withstand the fish's abuse .

There is special luremaking wire available as well , but would be more costly .

But if you bend any wire back and forth at same location many a times , it would snap sooner or later , the stronger , flexible ones would only take more effort !

good luck , diemai:yay:

Just throwing this out there for what its worth. I work in surgery and we use a lot of SS wire. When twisting the stuff, there is a distinct change that notes metal fatigue. We make ss loops to wire peoples jaws shut and when twisting the wires to close the loops, the metal will Grey instead of being shiny. Not sure if that helps, but was not sure of how ya broke it.

Hey guys just curious to what different types of wire you use for wire through baits. I built 4 baits wire throught (muskie baits) and use ss wire with the wire going through the lip, bending it was really hard an broke one of the wires from the bend, need a wire more plyable any suggestion would be great, I'll check make afterwork. Thanks Tom

AND ask welding wire is not the same. For pliability and strength, ask for 308L Tig wire from your local welding supply store.

Just throwing this out there for what its worth. I work in surgery and we use a lot of SS wire. When twisting the stuff, there is a distinct change that notes metal fatigue. We make ss loops to wire peoples jaws shut and when twisting the wires to close the loops, the metal will Grey instead of being shiny. Not sure if that helps, but was not sure of how ya broke it.

If I send you an impression could you make one for my wife please :lol: