sinyo

ask: mini crankbait pattern

hi all..first of all sory if my english not good

this is my first post in this usefull forum:yay:

i'm newbie in lure making, now i try to make wooden crankbait(about 1-2 inch) i use "Bastard cedar" wood.

10 pieces has finish but all not work:cry:

can anyone can give me the right paterrn ?

how much the lead is need to balast them n where are the rigth positon to put it?

thx before:halo:

Welcome to TU Sinyo.

I looked up the density, 38gm/cm3, so it is light enough. But small cranks really need to be of a light wood. I use albesia and search the store for a light piece, as the density varies a lot.

I drill the hole for the ballast, then seal the wood, to prevent water soaking in. I then hang ballast and float the lure so about 20% is above water. The hooks, hardware and top coat will pull it down lower. You will get a feel for it, after finishing a few.

It might help if you can post a picture of your bait.

Where about in Indonesia are you? I'm in Bandung.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

Attach the split rings and hooks to those baits and float test. Then add weight to the belly hook until the bait has a nose down attitude while floating at rest. I would recommend that you move the belly hangers a little closer to the nose of the bait and put your balast weight there.

Make sure the geometry of the lips are symmetrical from left to right. This can cause you lots of problems.

Experiment with mofing the eye forward and back. Maybe fit an extended eye on an experimental lure. Make the eye stick out about 7mm so you can bend it up and down, to see the effects. This way you learn.

Dave

I learned the hard way that the hardest, most difficult baits to make is the small ones. I spent 6 months on one bait (The Bank Robber) and sometimes wonder if I really got it right.

From first glance, you point of line tie might be too high on the nose. Try bending the wire down towards the lip and run a test. You may even have to put the wire in the lip as part of the experimental process. Don't worry about the number of hours or baits you may expend-it's all part of the learning process. Welcome to world of trial and error. If the action is improved then you're on the right track. The body style is excellent for your project. Heck, you've already put the English on it!

One suggestion is to increase the baits size by 30% and you'll see it's much easier to tune. One thought is to start large, get the feel for crankbaits then move smaller and smaller.

thx guys:yay:

@ vodkaman: sorry sir.i'm very new in this hobby, i can't understand with the eye word..did u mean it's a lip?

@birdman: here in indonesia we fishing in commercial pond, the most common fish is 1-2 lbs pacu..so i dont have much option about the size n shape:(

@benton B: :worship:

@ sinyo

Dave is talking about the tow eye or line tie(where you attach your fishing line to the lure) .

If you don't place it so close to the lurebody(leave the wire sticking out a little further out of the body) you can bend that eye up or down to tune or alter the lure action .

I know one guy on a German site , that makes his small trout baits that way as well .

good luck , diemai:yay: