gadawgs

silicone swimbait mold

I posted a month or two ago about a swimbait I was making,but I'm having some problems with it. When I made the mold one side didn't come out right so I stuck the original back in the good side and poured it again but now when I pour the baits they come out a lot thicker than the original was. This wouldn't be a problem except they're too fat to swim at slow speeds. so when I make my new mold how can I make sure the bait is suspended in the silicone right. Last time i tried using the clay on the bottom of the bait but this didn't work because of the fins and gill detail.:twisted:

I posted a month or two ago about a swimbait I was making,but I'm having some problems with it. When I made the mold one side didn't come out right so I stuck the original back in the good side and poured it again but now when I pour the baits they come out a lot thicker than the original was. This wouldn't be a problem except they're too fat to swim at slow speeds. so when I make my new mold how can I make sure the bait is suspended in the silicone right. Last time i tried using the clay on the bottom of the bait but this didn't work because of the fins and gill detail.:twisted:

What are you casting them from? If you're using foam, the expansion of it may be causing the fatness. Venting the mold and using less foam will help, if that is your problem.

I'm using aluminite to cast them. whenever I made the mold i removed the bait from one half of the bait before i poured the second half but when i tried to put the bait back in the mold it left a gap. I didn't think it was that big of a deal though. will Aluminite expand in a mold?

I'm using aluminite to cast them. whenever I made the mold i removed the bait from one half of the bait before i poured the second half but when i tried to put the bait back in the mold it left a gap. I didn't think it was that big of a deal though. will Aluminite expand in a mold?

yes alumilite will expand!!! you need to support your mold on all sides I use the the 3/4 plywood box that I used to make the mold with, and either clamp it together or use screws. I get no defection this way...

K.C.