TightLinez

Swimbait help.....

I've been painting for a few months now and I want to take it to the next step- making some baits. I'm not a big crankbait fan, but I'm a total swimbait junkie. What are some of the materials I am going to need in order to get into this obsession? I'll most likely be making 3 piece bass and bluegill swimbaits ranging from 4"-7". Any tips or links to some nice tutorials would be extremely helpful! Appreciate it guys.

Tools required can be as simple as a tenon saw, drill, file and sand paper. A vice would be handy too. Or you can go full tilt with a bandsaw, drill press, belt sander etc, but it is not necessary.

There are so many good threads here on swimbaits, solving specific issues, like hinges, joints etc. Even threads on how to get it to swim! But this link (by Diemai) is very comprehensive and a good place to start reading: http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/13713-swimbait-very-first-attempt.html

After that, you should search specific words for specific questions. If you go advanced on the search function and select 'hardbaits' forum, then this will eliminate the soft plastics swimbaits.

Go with the 7" swimbait for the first attempt, as fiddling about with a 4" bait with 2 joints is a real pain. Your first decision will be what material to use.

Dave

Thanks Vodkaman. I'm not sure what material I'm going to use. I was thinking PVC and as for the joints, I might go with the eye screws and pin (don't know what it's called) :o. I pretty much any kind of tool at hand except for the belt sander. I'll read up on that thread you posted. :yes:

Thanks again!