JimD

D2 problems

I am into repainting baits and have had good results from the board's advice. I use a bbq motor for my turning wheel where I use exacto knives mounted horizontally into the foam block that fits onto the motor.

I have as a rule had nice clear coats till I played with larger glitter and got some wavy areas.

I took a superspook in black with gray markings and placed the glow in the dark paint over the gray and it looks great little rough with the brush.

I coated several baits with D2 that I had added gills and throats to and more or less they came out fine. The black super spook came out wavy.

I do use a heat gun to help smooth out some of the spots but as a rule this has not been a problem.

The other baits came out good even where I used the heat gun to smooth just the areas that I covered with D2 or added to already epoxed baits.

Why do you think the ss came out so wavy in the finish?

Too much heat causing the d2 to get too fluid?

Glow paint not being smooth enough since itwas hand painted with a little depth to it?

Too early in the am? :)

Thanks,

Jim

It is possible, because you were mixing glitter into the D2T, that you took too long over the mixing.

Try mixing the glitter into the two halves, separately, then mix together.

I cannot think of any other reason why the glitter would make a difference.

Dave

What do you think caused the problem with the bait that did not have the glitter but had glow paint applied over the Grey outline of an old Walmart Black Super spook.

I hand painted over the silver/gray and put two eyes on the back by putting a pool and thinning with the brush in the center. Glow paint did not appear that thick but still after heating the finish seemed wavy drying. Too much heat or?

I never heat epoxy after it's applied so can't comment, but there have been several posts about epoxy curing too fast or failing to level when mixed with glitter. That suggests to me that there is some chemical reaction taking place with some dry acrylic glitters. I use cheap acrylic glitter paint (glitter suspended in a clear acrylic). Paint it on, let it dry, then clearcoat. No problems so far and brushing it lets me get glitter density and coverage only where I want it.