Jwags

Crankbait Build: When do I put in the diving lip?

I know that many of you have a personal preference about when to glue in the diving lip during the building process. My question is for those who glue the lip in towards the end of the process after painting the lure. Do you glue it in before or after clearing the bait? If before, what is a good method to keep the clear from running all over the bill? If you tape it off, do you wait for the clear to set a bit before removing the tape? (sorry for so many questions)

I currently have two muskie cranks on the dryer right now. I glued in the lips before I sealed them so the lips have been on during the painting and clearing process. I'm new to this so I've managed to get some clear on the bills and it just doesn't look right. These lures are for me so I don't mind so much, but I'm going to make some for friends in the future and I need to make sure I get this right.

thanks,

jeremy

On large baits with large lip slots, I mount the lip before I paint and tape it off. You can then fill the voids at the sides of the slot and paint over it so the sides of the slot are hidden, for a nicer look. On medium or small baits, I mount the lip after painting and before clearcoating, no taping needed. I don't recommend clearcoating with the lip taped - too many ways to get it screwed up.

On large baits with large lip slots, I mount the lip before I paint and tape it off. You can then fill the voids at the sides of the slot and paint over it so the sides of the slot are hidden, for a nicer look. On medium or small baits, I mount the lip after painting and before clearcoating, no taping needed. I don't recommend clearcoating with the lip taped - too many ways to get it screwed up.
Thats the way I do mine.