clemmy

Sander grit for shaping?

Okay, this is for those of you using a belt/disc sander for shaping. I'm thinking of getting one to speed up shaping, and am wondering what 2 grits to get initally. I'll be using it for m. hvy balsa, around 11-14 lbs.

would 80 be too rough for the inital shaping? 120 better?

For smoothing sanding marks, 280? 400?

I use a self leveling epoxy basecoat, so it doesn't need perfect smoothness, and I'm trying this to decrease time per bait. That said, I don't want to go too heavy so that control suffers.

Thanks!

Clemmy

I use a Dremel with a fine grit sanding cylinder for gross shaping and rounding. I think it's 120 grit. I use a disc sander with 120 grit for sanding blanks to the right thickness and to taper baits. It's not much use for roundng over though. Regardless of the undercoat I'm using, I go with at least 220 and more often 400 grit for final sanding. One thing that makes a huge difference in hand sanding is good sandpaper. IMO, the best is Norton 3X because it never clogs and lasts a long long time. I can fine sand at least 6 baits with one 400 grit finger size strip.

I think my current belt is 120 grit, but didn't want to take it off to check. I bought a couple of new belts a few weeks ago, they are 80 grit. The 80 doesn't look too brutal, well once it has worn in a bit.

I don't think you will need 2 belts, it will soon become a tiresome pain swapping them over.

The main thing with balsa, is to look after the grain direction, or you will end up with a ball of fluff and you'll have to get the bic out.

Dave

I use a Dremel with a fine grit sanding cylinder for gross shaping and rounding. I think it's 120 grit. I use a disc sander with 120 grit for sanding blanks to the right thickness and to taper baits. It's not much use for roundng over though. Regardless of the undercoat I'm using, I go with at least 220 and more often 400 grit for final sanding. One thing that makes a huge difference in hand sanding is good sandpaper. IMO, the best is Norton 3X because it never clogs and lasts a long long time. I can fine sand at least 6 baits with one 400 grit finger size strip.

ditto on the Norton. I switched from a generic who knows what brand to Norton and am MUCH happier.