jcarman

Advice on dipping lures in DN Lurecoat

OK, so I have come to the realization that in order to speed things up in my production process that dipping my crankbiats in DN is the way to go.

Can anyone answer a few questions about this process?

1. I make 6"-9" striper baits with the lips already on them. When dipping, do you just immerse the lip in the DN too? Or do you try and tape them off....?

2.Once you dip the lures, do you just hang them and wait or is there some work that needs to be done while they are drying such as turning them over, etc.

3. Do you think the DN top coat?

Is dipping the best way or should I be looking at spraying? The only problem with spraying that I can see is the vapors...they are bad!

Also, I tried dipping some dodgers that has some graphics applied to them and the DN didn't run off all uniform, but instead left a lot of runs and drips around the graphics. Was it too thick?

Any advice from the TU group would be appreciated.

JC

I dip one piece bass baits in DN and hang them to dry tail down so the excess drips off the tail. Recoat in 24 hrs. I don't thin DN with solvent and I apply 2 coats. I find that hanging is better because a turner can cause the DN to pool somewhere on the bait where it can make the paint wrinkle. I have fewest problems and best results just hanging them up.

If you dip, don't try to tape off the lip, you'll just make a mess. Better to coat the lip with DN partially or completely.

DN will not cause heat set acrylic latex to run. I avoid solvent based colors or details - just like I would with an epoxy like Etex which contains solvent. If your graphics are a problem, I'd try coating them with a coat of clear acrylic paint and heat drying it before you use the DN. I use templates for shooting details with acrylic latex so have no experience with that particular problem.

The only problem I ever have with DN concerns storing and handling so moisture does not contaminate it. A dipping jar contains less DN and more ambient air as you use up the product. It will begin to cure in the jar at some point unless you take measures to exclude air from contact with the DN. I think Dick Nite paints spoons with solvent based colors and uses DN to clear coat them, so it probably isn't impossible to do the same on a crankbait - but I don't want to spray solvent paint so will never know how:nuhuh: