Hoosierdaddy

Minnow Plug Troubleshooting

As I was turning in the tail screw eye on a lure I made I noticed a hairline split develop in the lure. It is a Rapala or Rogue style minnow lure. Have any of you had this happen and is there a good fix? I thought about drilling the hole out a little larger and deeper, making my own screw eye like Chip does in order to go deeper into the body of the lure as with this split in the lure the screw I that I was using wont tighten completely anyway. Does this seem like a viable solution or does anyone else have a better suggestion to fix this problem?

It is a wood lure. I did predrill the hole first but I think I caused the crack by overtightening the screw eye. I did plan on tying a bucktail for this one so the hook hanger idea won't work. I dont make all of them with bucktail though so in the future I may try the hook hanger idea. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

For this one bait you might just go with your idea of using Chip's wire. You can create one pretty easy by first turning it around something like a nail and and then use some wide mouth pliers to grab both sides at once while twisting/weaving. If you glued this whole thing in a good distance with Devcon it won't go anywhere.

Jed