KelpKritter

Iradescent paint ?

After reading some threads here I am a little more familiar with how the iradescent paints work and show up on a white or silver base. My question is how will a green iradescent show up on a green base, gold on a brown base, organge on an orange base and so on. Basically, how will darker iradescent colors show up on similar dark colored bases. I am new to airbrushing and am not in a position to buy a ton of paint that will not end up giving me what I am looking for. I only plan on a few schemes for a line of baits I am working on for a very specific application.

Thanks for the input.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

I don't think I can answer your question of "How" it works.....its just something you have to mess with to understand whats capable.....alot of the pearls I use are powered and I add them to my final clear coat or to a mid coat clear.....Normally you can't see the effect until the final clear has been applied....then as the light passes thru the clear, hits your base colors and reflects back up thru the clear to your eyes the irredesence or pearlescese(sp?) is revealed.....its a play on light reflection that you have to see to understand.....I hope that made a little bit of sense?:?

By the way.....the effect doesnt' just show up over a white or silver base.....it works over most colors and in many cases the darker the base color the easier the effect shows up.....using a blue pearl over white isn't near as easy to see as using a blue pearl over black....both end results look different so you have to play with them to get a feel for whats gonna happen.

Edited by 68KingFisher

By the way.....the effect doesnt' just show up over a white or silver base.....it works over most colors and in many cases the darker the base color the easier the effect shows up.....using a blue pearl over white isn't near as easy to see as using a blue pearl over black....both end results look different so you have to play with them to get a feel for whats gonna happen.

Thank you,

This was the information I was looking for before I ordered some paints I have been looking at. This should be a big help.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

I use Wild Life colors iridescent paints as accents on my swimbaits, over pearl white/silver. The iridescent paint doesn't show up until you turn the lure just right, which means, to me, it will flash off and on in the water during the retrieve.

It is subtle, but adding a clear topcoat enhances it, so don't go too heavy to start with.

You can test some samples, or add a clear paint coat over the iridescent paint while you're painting the lure, to see how it will look. That way, you can add more if needed, before you top coat.

Edited by mark poulson