Thad

Question for you solvent based guys. Is this too much?

I decided I would go with one complete system and just use all House of Kolor products. I called them to get their advice and they said I needed to do the following:

Prime with an adhesion promoter.

Seal

Paint

Clear

Is this too much? I mean this stuff is going to cost me another $100+. I really like DN but I can't get it to work over the HOK stuff.

Sounds like I need to get HOK intercoat clear in order to use DN.

Would you guys just use the entire HOK setup, get some intercoat and combine with DN, or just switch to water based paints and go with DN?

After you have finished painting your bait and you are ready for a topcoat you could shoot it with one or two thin coats of clear before you dip the Dick Nites and that could work.

If that doesn't work then just spray the Dick Nite topcaot on. When I spray it, I get a bulb siphon/dropper and get a small amount of Dick Nite and put it in the color cup (fill it 3/4 full) and then add 2-5 drops of acetone and swirl it a couple of times. Then shoot a couple of topcoats on the bait. It becomes tacky and dries very fast when you spray it. That will cure so fast that it should not cause any trouble for any of your under lying paints. If you need a thicker coat you will be able to dip with no problems after a short while.

Primarily an intercoat is used to ensure adhesion between the base color/artwork and the final clearcoat. When spraying basecoat color there is a window of time in which the final clear can be applied to ensure proper adhesion. Outside that time frame the adhesion of the clear coat is compromised. If you are performing extensive artwork or multiple color application and the array of various colors/artwork can not be completed and clearcoat within a certain period. Then you need to use a intercoat which will allow you ample time to finish the artwork and ensure the final clearcoat will adhere to the base colors and artwork.

If you want to save money hit up your local body shop for waste paint and they will have plenty. You might prime the pump with a few of your handmade plugs. But you will soon have plenty of paint at your disposal. It will be a cheap and good alternative to HOK

I tried that pretty much. I sprayed about 3 to 4 coats of DN on them and then let them sit for about 12 hours. I then dipped them and they cracked all over in less then a minute.

I have never used DN, but from my dealings with catalized clears, that kinda sounds like 12hrs maybe wasn't enough.....and when you dipped you reactivated what you had sprayed earlier and everything wrinkled.