John Sanner

airbrush problem

I got my airbrush(paasche VL Set) and paint(createx & smith paints) in the mail today and went to work on a few rattletraps and needless to say it didnt turn out to good. I was using the #3 tip and needle and couldnt get it to spray a fine line. I could spray the polytransper superhide white pretty good if I held my airbrush about 8 inches away from the bait. After I got one primed I cleaned out my airbrush and then used a hair dryer to heat the bait for a couple minutes to speed up the drying. After it was dry I would go with my next color and when my paint would hit the bait it would just scatter. It acts like I am using to much airpressure and its just pushing paint all over the bait(was using 20lbs). I also cant get it to spray a fine line(1" is as fine as I can get it to spray). I dropped down to the #1 tip and needle and still couldnt get it to spray any finer. Any help would be appreciated

have you tried holding the brush a little closer to the bait. 8 inchs is too far back for fine lines.Ive never used this brush before and is your paints airbrush paints.And Im not sure by what you mean by scattering is it spitting paint ? There are some nice learning vids on youtube check them out.

Edited by jamie

It acts like I am using to much airpressure and its just pushing paint all over the bait(was using 20lbs). I also cant get it to spray a fine line(1" is as fine as I can get it to spray). I dropped down to the #1 tip and needle and still couldnt get it to spray any finer. Any help would be appreciated

I doubt if 20psi is too much pressure, but it could cause you some spidering problems if the paint is a bit too thin.....or if your too close and/or moving too slow or applying too much paint in one pass......Being unable to get a finer line than 1" is somewhat puzzling since a Paasche #3 will draw lines as fine as a dull pencil without too much trouble....but that does take some airbrush control.

I noticed your from Arkansas....what part?....Maybe i'm close enough to help(Mena)?......Well actually "close' is a relative term here in the mountains of western arkansas....hehehe....were are not exactly "close" to anything other than the forest.....but I was thinking if you couldn't figure it out and you lived close enough for a road trip, i'd be glad to do what I can to help you overcome your problems.

Unless your the one doing the thinning, I doubt that the paint right out of the jar is too thin, so I wouldn't start trying to modifiy it yet.....BentonB could be onto something also.

Magnolia is alittle too far from me to be able to stop by and offer some help....sorry.

I'm not familier with the Smith paints but the Createx should spray pretty good right outta the bottle..... Can you post a picture of the splatter problem so we can get a visual....that might help.

Smith paints are taxidermy paints made for airbrushing. Most of the colors are thinner than c-tex right out of the bottle. I shoot most of the Smith paints at 18psi, some of the transparent colors can be a little too thin but it's rare. It could be the brush also, I used to have a Paasche brush and the best thing I ever did was get rid of it. No matter what I tried it would not act right for me.

Wait.....I just happened to think of something.....are you removing the protective cover that snaps on over the VL's head/tip assembly? Sometimes new airbrushers don't realize that is just a protective cover and they try and paint with it on, and theres no way you can get a fine line doing that....this would even explain your spattering problem.....just wondering if this is what you might have going on? Its a little chrome funnel shaped thing with a hole in the end!

Moisture trap? Some lines have an in-line moisture trap rather then the jar type that comes right off the compressor. I had an in-line one and some of the moisture would eventually get in the line.

Since we talking airbrush though, i think i may have bent my nozzle. The nozzle is supposed to be exactly in the center of the nozzle cover hole right? Cause i had some splattering cause of it I think.

The nozzle is supposed to be exactly in the center of the nozzle cover hole right?

The nozzle should be centered in the head assembly yes....and the needle should be in the center of the nozzle, although i've seen some needles that tend to rub one side of the nozzle until you start spraying and then it seems to center itself.