John Sanner

Chrome Paint

I can't say for sure what Bill Norman uses, but these guys makes the best chrome paint on the market... The Worlds most Exotic Paint .....Look at either the "Killer chrome" or "Chrome FX"....i'd be willing to bet a company like Norman lures would use the Chrome FX system....watch some of the videos on their site about the stuff and you'll see what I mean.

Edited by 68KingFisher

Every time I have tryed to use a chrome paint, the top coat dulled it bad. Probably a reaction to the top coat. I have given up on paint and just foil any bait I want to look metalic. I redid a Bill Lewis rat-l-trap for a gut once and it was foiled. I truely have never seen the chrome ones in my hand, but foil would do the trick. I know the guy is still using the one I redid for him and I foiled it just like it was when he gave it to me. Kitchen foil is much more economicaly friendly for a cheep scate like me.:teef:

Joe

I don't know what Bill Lewis Co. uses but I don't think I would want to use any.I have never seen Rattletrap paint hold up for very long.I think I would try some of the above mentioned paint or methods.I'm sorry I know this didn't help you any,just my thoughts on it....Rob

KingFisher, Gaaak! 8O $80+ for a 4 oz aerosol can of chrome paint! I've heard lure manufacturers use electro deposition to chrome baits - guess it's basically the same process used to chrome bumpers.

John, this question comes up regularly and the consensus is it's a choice between very expensive paint or foil. Most of us go with foil. Some foils give you a very reflective chrome effect and you can spray over the foil with transparent colors to get different hues. Foil is also nice because you can texture it to mimic scales. Mylar foil is the most reflective, approximating actual chrome. But you have to glue it down and it can be hard to get it on a lure without wrinkles. The easiest foil that I've found is BriteBak adhesive silver foil sold for stained glass art. A 2" wide 50 ft roll is around $10 and does a bunch of lures. And the peel and stick feature makes foiling a lot easier and neater.

KingFisher, SMALLIEHUNTER, only true airbrush junkies buy that stuff! Or maybe a guy who paints bikes and helmets for $$ and has chrome paint left over? I can't see it - my hand would be shaking too hard to hold my Iwata:lol:

KingFisher, SMALLIEHUNTER, only true airbrush junkies buy that stuff! Or maybe a guy who paints bikes and helmets for $$ and has chrome paint left over? I can't see it - my hand would be shaking too hard to hold my Iwata:lol:

Thats about right BobP......even then there are a whole lot of folks that want their helmets chromed until I tell them how much its gonna cost.....thats when they all decide the chrome is a luxury they can live without....lol...can't say's I blame them.

How about mirra chrome? Anybody try it yet, little less expensive... http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MC-101

Thats the same stuff i'm talkin about....its made by Alsa.....$70 for 4oz thru Coast airbrush.....and the "Killer chrome" is just mirra chrome packaged in spraycans.

when you do everything right you can get results like this helmet...(no I didn't paint it)...however its easy to mess things up and end up with a something that looks more like aluminum and less like chrome....but when everything works right the results are impressive to say the least.

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

mirro chrome.jpg

4615_thumb.attach

Many brands of automotive clear coats will also cause the mirra chrome to turn dull and look like aluminum instead of chrome.....you must use Alsa's clear that they recommend if you want the correct results....everything else is a crap shoot.....from what I know of the product its the slow curing time of the top coat that kills the chromes shine....Alsa's Speed clear is the only clear I know of that'll work.

Edited by 68KingFisher