WVEric

Got another question about airbrushing??

In an earlier post I said I was brand new to airbrushing baits. Well today I painted my first bait. I had an old #7 Shad Rap that I sanded down with 400 sandpaper then did my thing. The bait looked real good untill I sprayed a so called gloss sealer on it I had gotten from Michaels Craft store. Well that sealer turned the bait white and made it look awful. Now my question is my Wal-Mart doesn't carry that 2 ton stuff I see hear on this webite. I did stop by there and went to the craft section and got some ClearCote Hi-Shine Glaze by Plaid. It says its a brilliant finish and non-yellowing. Does anyone else use this or am I just going to have to do trial and error. What is the actual best stuff to use after you get the painting done to make the bait shine and protect it???? Thanks, I've been reading alot of post on here about jig making, airbrushing, and other things and WOW, there is alot of info here. Thanks for all the help

Might want to do a search on envirotex lite. Thats a 2 part epoxy that a lot of people use and it gives very good results. There are some other things you can use, but I am not so knowledgeable on it. Usually when ya have something turn cloudy or white on you, it has something to do with humidity. I am not sure, but I think some use a spray polyurethane on some of the plastic baits.

If you want to try the envirotex, definitly do a search on it. The cure time is long and there are some things you really need to do with it so it does not sag(lure turner).

If you want to see some great finishes with envirotex (etex), check out fatfingers gallery. They can get a real nice finish.

It is true, that alot of the rattlecan clears will get cloudy or milky looking if used during high humidity conditions....Make sure to read all the directions on the can.....most say something about about humidity and temps as well as recoat and drying times. I dunno bout your neck of the woods, but here in Arkansas its been pretty darn humid recently.....i'd be willing to bet thats what happened to you.

Some ACE hardware stores sell Devcon Two Ton. Michael's sells Envirotex Lite (aka ETEX). Both are popular crankbait topcoats but you need to read up on how to use them. I haven't used Plaid glaze and I'm betting it's just a water based clearcoat for craft projects, and won't be durable. If you want to try spray cans, I'd be looking at the solvent based polyurethanes.