WVEric

DT2 or ETex, how do you apply it??

I have a question on how you guys are applying the Devcon 2 Ton or the Etex to your crankbaits. I have some Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy and I noticed it is real thick, so thats why I was wondering. I just finished up on my first painted bait ever and I applied some Krylon Industrial gloss clear coat in the spray can. Now I'm sure this probably will not hold up but I need to order some DT2 or Etex because no one here around me sells it local. So how am I suppose to apply it when I do get it and how many coats. Thanks

well you the trick is to do it very carefully......:drool:

lol just kidding with ya. If your just doing small cranks thin out the epoxy with some acetone and mix it up in a small container. when you mix it make sure you mix it very good. Take an acid brush and brush it on. Oh ya, dont use 5 minute, it yellows and its not 100% water proof.

Goodluck, Jacob

I use 30 minute epoxy. I apply it with a nylon artist brush. Squeeze an amount out about the size of a quarter onto some aluminum fool. It is important to mix it very well. I hit the epoxy for a few seconds with a hair dryer to make it spread easy. Then give the lure a generous coating....not too heavy. Turn the lure for 20 minutes.

I use 30 minute epoxy. I apply it with a nylon artist brush. Squeeze an amount out about the size of a quarter onto some aluminum fool. It is important to mix it very well. I hit the epoxy for a few seconds with a hair dryer to make it spread easy. Then give the lure a generous coating....not too heavy. Turn the lure for 20 minutes.

Do mix your epoxy with acetone or anything else. Also what brand of epoxy do you use. Sorry about all the question, just new at this and want my baits to look good and be durable. Thanks

Also what brand of epoxy do you use. Sorry about all the question, just new at this and want my baits to look good and be durable. Thanks

Also if you wear wondering why I put the acetone in there its just cause it makes it thinner and there are less bubbles in the final coat. And for the brand you can get some Devcon, you can look around for it at stores but they also have a website you can order from. The stuff that everyone mainly uses is just devcon 2 ton 30 minute. Its the best epoxy that I have used so far.

Goodluck, Jacob

I want to thank you all for the help with my questions. After reading up on all the epoxies and topcoating, I am going a little different route and just ordered some Nu-Lustre 55 for my crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and jigs. It seems to be about the same stuff as what we have been talking about. Thanks Again

Never try to topcoat a lure with Devcon 5 minute epoxy - it cures way too fast and will turn brown. Nu Lustre is a brand used by a few guys here on TU. They also make a version with UV protection (more expensive). Always measure accurately and mix epoxy thoroughly or you will end up with epoxy that won't cure hard, and make sure you're mixing it all and not leaving unmixed resin or hardener in a nook or cranny that might make it onto the lure.