KB Tackle

Tip Size

I think the #3 is the most versital of the three sizes......Use #1 when you need smaller detail then you can get from the #3......or use #5 when shootin thicker viscosity paints or primers....heck I have even shot final clearcoats thru a #5.....but all in all the #3 is usually your best bet.

When I used a VL with inexpensive hobby acrylics, the 3 tip worked for color basecoating and the 1 tip for everything else. Since I was painting only 2-3 baits at a time, I often used the small tip for everything so I wouldn't have to change tips. Tip selection is individual - you'll choose the tip that's right for the particular paint and the way you work with your airbrush. I generally use the smallest tip that won't clog.

I agree with BobP, his statement "Tip selection is indivdual" totally sums it up. I used a VL on spinnerbaits for years. But that is all I shot so I always went with the #1 tip. If I were shooting larger areas then what 68KF is saying would be more practical. Experiment and see which one suits your needs would probably be the best advice. Good luck and have fun.