Shortlite

Prefab laminate lures

G'day fellas.

Trawling around the net a while back, I bookmarked a very interesting way to make wooden lures. Quite popular in Japan, they use precut laser cut wooden sheets to laminate the body toegther. Body is cut out, holes for hangers, bibs and all precut, all you have to do is glue up with all the hardware in the kit, shape a bit and round out, then sand and paint.

Everything precut, including lexan bibs, hangers preformed with 90 degree bends on the ends, holes to accept them and everything.

Interesting, easy concept, quite easy to design your own lures according to the formula. Undoubtedly needs some testing to fine tune new designs, but pretty awesome. Would be cool if you can get all the stuff cut fairly cheaply, then make your own. I am keen to give it a try: templates and lots of paddle pop sticks!!!

Not sure if posting the link would be advertising, but I can PM the address to anyone interested in having a squizz.

I messed around with that a little. I made a 3 layer laminate lipless crank from sintra. It does have some benefits as far as putting rattles and hangers in. With 3 exact layers, it is also easy to align center line for things. I would be interested in looking at that website if you dont mind.

Yeah, the Sintra material is interesting, but gluing up the laminates seems to be a bit problematic. If there were some way to get 100% gluing I'd certainly give it a go. For now though, to experiment with, I'll be using wood, probably basswood, cedar or paulownia (spelling?).

Is this what you guys are callin "Sintra"?.....I use to paint signs on this stuff....never thought about gluing it together and carving a lure from it till now...lol.....I threw this sample pack into a bowl of water and it floats, so if it'll glue without any problems I might have to try it.

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

signmaterial.jpg

signmaterials.jpg

4634_thumb.attach

4635_thumb.attach

Yeah KF, I looked up Intefoam and it is expanded PVC foam board. That is the stuff. I got introduced to it because it is a thermo plastic and easily formed. So I used it for a costume. It retains good bouyancy but I think there needs to be some more testing for a laminate material. Getting the stuff to stick together seems to only work well with CA. I tried it with epoxy and it didnt not hold. Not sure if it had anything to do with the surface of the board though. It is worth a shot though, I got my one lipless crank to hold well and it runs good.

One thing I did try to do with it was build a coat of propionate up on it, but it turned soft in the acetone. So some solvent based stuff may not work so well with it. It is some pretty versatile stuff though.