BrentA

Couple ?'s on compressor and paint

Hi everyone, sorry to pester you guys with more rookie questions but after several searches I'm still not sure about a couple things.

First of all, I bought a Paasche D500 air compressor spur of the moment on ebay. I did a quick search on it and another tackle site said it was a popular choice for lure painters. Later that night I found this site and it seems most of you use more powerful compressors. Anyhoo, my first question is where do I purchase a regulator and moisture filter for this compressor if I decide to try it?

Also, any suggestions on where to purchase Createx paint?

I've been painting baits for a couple years but nothing serious. I thought if I had the right equipment I may get more serioius with it but I know nothing (obviously) about air compressors or any other equipment for that matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great site by the way!!! Thanks

I use a little Badger airbrush compressor with auto on/off that develops max 50 psi, 40 psi constant working pressure. IMO, you want a compressor that has a minimum 30-35 psi constant working pressure to drive an airbrush used for crankbaits. Some of the cheaper Chinese compressors advertise 30 psi but only deliver 15 psi working pressure. No good IMO. Whichever compressor you choose, you'll need a pressure regulator (it usually comes with a pressure gauge) and a moisture filter ($15-20 each), plus adapters to fit everything together. You can get them at home centers like Home Depot that carry air tool accessories. I like my compressor (it was free!) but since I work in my garage and noise is not an issue, I'd buy a small tool compressor with an integral air storage tank if I were shopping for a new one. A lot of guys use ones costing $60-100 that develop 100-120 max psi.

I've found lots of good painting info in past threads on this forum by using the search feature, so don't overlook that......as for the compressor I feel this way about them.....Every man needs one in his garage....and we should all follow what Tim the tool man Taylor would say....get the biggest,baddest one you can....Ar,ar,ar.....lol....most guys will find other uses for it....specially if your mechanicly inclined and tinker with your car or bike or boat or??

Actually, those little oil-less diapham compressors such as that Paasche unit, aren't really up to the job of keepin up with a standard airbrush using acrylic paints....they are ok if your an illustrator using water thin paints, but in reality they just can't put out the pressures needed when using thicker acrylic paints such as Createx......plus they don't have a storage tank so they run all the time and overheating and premature wear becomes an issue...not to mention most of them pulse real bad so you can forget about getting smooth fades......you can get whats known as a mini regulator/water trap combo from most wholesale tool places, like Harbor Freight.....but if I were you i'd just put the money towards a bigger better unit....something with a storage tank....i've seen small 2gal units at Walmart for around $50 or so that come with the same mini regulator/water trap I mentioned.....I think Lowes and those types of stores carry a couple of small units that are comparable....for the money you'd be gettin alot more compressor that'll last longer in most cases.....but be forewarned....some of them can be quite noisy....oil filled units are quiter than oil-less units in most cases.....shop around a bit before you buy another one and I think you'll find something alot better for the same money as the Paasche unit.

Createx is available from stores like Hobby lobby and Michaels as well as various hobby and r/c shops.....and of course ordered online from places like Coast airbrush dot com or Dixie art dot com or Bearair dot com depending on what part of the country you wanna buy from.

Do you already have an airbrush?.....if not you might wanna look back thru some recent threads posted here about airbrushes in general....might help you make better purchases then just goin with those spur of the moment ones.:whistle:

Thanks guys, I do have an airbrush already. Can't remember much about it. I know it is a dual action. I bought it for my dad when he retired because he wanted to tinker with making and painting balsa cranks. I paint maybe 10-20 baits a year usually just what i bang up during the year fishing, so i'm not looking to fork too much cash out. My old compressor was given to me by a friend and it was a beast of a unit, but it pooped out on me the other night and I got on Ebay and that paasche unit had a few minutes left on it so I did a quick search and of course the first thing I found said it was the deal for airbrushing baits and I bid on it and won it for like $45. I may just resale it and buy something bigger.

I'll check Michaels for the paint, I like to be able to get it as I need it as opposed to ordering more than I need but I hate having to wait on a shipment to arrive if I run out as well so if I can find a dealer near by that would be great.

I've always used pactra paint in the past, any input on that?

Thanks a bunch guys.

Panache makes a pretty decent airbrush and the compressor is made specifically for airbrushing so why not try it .......... it's made for airbrushing and not the big bulky general purpose stuff or the off brand junk. Panache is a quality airbrush manufacturer so I would not just junk it. I have 2 Airstar V's that are made for airbrushing and they are small quiet and work great.

Panache makes a pretty decent airbrush and the compressor is made specifically for airbrushing so why not try it .......... it's made for airbrushing and not the big bulky general purpose stuff or the off brand junk. Panache is a quality airbrush manufacturer so I would not just junk it.

I can only assume you ment Paasche and not Panache?.......Paasche does make a quality airbrush(I own several)but they don't make these little 1/10hp compressors that i'm aware of(i've owned several of them too)....i'm not sure who makes them now....used to be the Brown company years ago....several companies put their names on the same unit, paint them a different color, and call them "airbrush compressors"....So you'd think they'd be perfect for airbrushing, but the reality is they are not......they are one notch better than the canned air sold for airbrushing, and those things are completely worthless so don't waste yer money on them either.

Paasche's own sales ad say's this about the D500 unit in question....."Economical and suitable for all airbrushes spraying properly thinned fluids......Now read that again....Properly thinned fluids!!!!....that last word is the key.....fluids not paint.....water thin fluids will flow thru an airbrush just fine using those little compressors.....illustrators using Golden artist paints get decent results because Golden paints are thin as water and most illustrators use gravity feed brushes which require less air....but if you plan of pushin Createx or Aquaflow or most any of the cheap acrylic paints sold in the craft section of Walmart thru a bottom feed airbrush then your gonna need more air pressure then those little units can supply....period.

Their sales ad also says "It is capable of delivering up to 40 lbs of pressure".....to which I say "Bull hockey"....aint never gonna happen....if you could build that much pressure you'd loose half of it the instant you pressed the trigger on your airbrush......the ad goes on to say that the unit "delivers .5 C.F.M. @ 20 p.s.i."....thats alot more realistic.....20psi is about all the pressure you could expect on a constant basis, and that might even be pushin it..... most folks find that Createx needs more pressure to flow thru a bottom feed airbrush without having to really overthin the paint to get it to do so.

Can you use these little units for minimal airbrush needs.....you bet.....will you want something better later on?.....Almost certainly.....Should you go ahead and get a better unit to begin with that in most cases will cost less money?.....Yup,I think so.....use those toy compressors to inflate your beachballs and pool toys with....maybe air up a flat tire on the kids bicycle with it....but not for continuous airbrush duty.....but then again if you have a better unit you can air up all yer toys with it....only faster....lol

Look....I don't mean to sound like a knowitall about these things cause i'm not....but i've been airbrushin along time, and i've tried a bunch of different compressors and airbrushes over the past 30yrs and trust me when I say "if your serious about airbrushing on a regular basis then you don't want one of those little 1/10hp units".....you'll want something bigger.:wink:

I can only assume you ment Paasche and not Panache?.......Paasche does make a quality airbrush(I own several)but they don't make these little 1/10hp compressors that i'm aware of(i've owned several of them too)....i'm not sure who makes them now....used to be the Brown company years ago....several companies put their names on the same unit, paint them a different color, and call them "airbrush compressors"....So you'd think they'd be perfect for airbrushing, but the reality is they are not......they are one notch better than the canned air sold for airbrushing, and those things are completely worthless so don't waste yer money on them either.

Paasche's own sales ad say's this about the D500 unit in question....."Economical and suitable for all airbrushes spraying properly thinned fluids......Now read that again....Properly thinned fluids!!!!....that last word is the key.....fluids not paint.....water thin fluids will flow thru an airbrush just fine using those little compressors.....illustrators using Golden artist paints get decent results because Golden paints are thin as water and most illustrators use gravity feed brushes which require less air....but if you plan of pushin Createx or Aquaflow or most any of the cheap acrylic paints sold in the craft section of Walmart thru a bottom feed airbrush then your gonna need more air pressure then those little units can supply....period.

Their sales ad also says "It is capable of delivering up to 40 lbs of pressure".....to which I say "Bull hockey"....aint never gonna happen....if you could build that much pressure you'd loose half of it the instant you pressed the trigger on your airbrush......the ad goes on to say that the unit "delivers .5 C.F.M. @ 20 p.s.i."....thats alot more realistic.....20psi is about all the pressure you could expect on a constant basis, and that might even be pushin it..... most folks find that Createx needs more pressure to flow thru a bottom feed airbrush without having to really overthin the paint to get it to do so.

Can you use these little units for minimal airbrush needs.....you bet.....will you want something better later on?.....Almost certainly.....Should you go ahead and get a better unit to begin with that in most cases will cost less money?.....Yup,I think so.....use those toy compressors to inflate your beachballs and pool toys with....maybe air up a flat tire on the kids bicycle with it....but not for continuous airbrush duty.....but then again if you have a better unit you can air up all yer toys with it....only faster....lol

Look....I don't mean to sound like a knowitall about these things cause i'm not....but i've been airbrushin along time, and i've tried a bunch of different compressors and airbrushes over the past 30yrs and trust me when I say "if your serious about airbrushing on a regular basis then you don't want one of those little 1/10hp units".....you'll want something bigger.:wink:[/quote

Gee ........ I'm sorry ....... Mr Knowitall must be the expert so please don't even try that one you bought because this guy says it won't work ...... sell it immediately ........ because after all that air brush company that I can't spell lies about their product's specs so watch out .......... Wow I am sure glad he set me and the world straight ..... after all he is the expert ......... gee I guess I better sell my $200 Airstar V's that I have been using and are made specifically for airbrushing and buy a $50 Walmart compressor that he recommends .......... I didn't know what i was missing ......... Thank you sir for setting me straight ......... :worship::worship::worship: .......... I'm sorry I said you may at least want to try what you bought ......... and that I liked mine ........ I must be wrong ......... please accept my apologies .......

I stand corrected ........

Gee ........ I'm sorry ....... Mr Knowitall must be the expert so please don't even try that one you bought because this guy says it won't work ...... sell it immediately ......I never said it wouldn't work....I said they are no good for continous duty airbrushing and you'd eventually want something better.....because after all that air brush company that I can't spell lies about their product's specs so watch out....So your suggesting all marketing ads are telling the gospel truth about their products and wouldn't lead potential customers astray just to make a buck?.....(by the way, airbrush is one word not two)..... Wow I am sure glad he set me and the world straight ..... after all he is the expert .....Again, something i've never claimed to be....although I do have over 30yrs experience using the airbrush, and over 20 of that in a professional capacity, so call it what you want.... gee I guess I better sell my $200 Airstar V's that I have been using and are made specifically for airbrushing and buy a $50 Walmart compressor that he recommends .....Go for it if you want, but your 1/8hp T&C Airstar is a little bit better unit then the 1/10hp Paasche D500 in question.....not alot but alittle....it even has auto shutoff and a built in regulator.....something the D500 doesn't have......I can't speak for the Walmart unit cause I haven't used one....just suggesting that you could get good performance and more air pressure from a little bigger unit with a holding tank, and Walmart sells one for around $50......I didn't know what i was missing .....you still may not.....Thank you sir for setting me straight .....Anytime.... :worship::worship::worship: .......... I'm sorry I said you may at least want to try what you bought .....I agree, try it before you take anyones advice...specially mine..... and that I liked mine .....I'm glad you do... I must be wrong ....Your words, not mine...... please accept my apologies .....Accepted....Have a great day.:)

68KF......It is especially, not specially. :yay: I couldn't resist. I'll take your "free", "professional" advice any time I can get it. I'm not afraid to say that someone who has your years of experience is a professional. You may not be a "know it all", but you certainly do know all you are talking about. Hearing your opinions about your equipment (vs other equipment) and experienceis a desire of the majority I'm sure. Please don't let the one bad apple spoil the bunch, I value your comments and posts.

FERG

I think most "small" airbrush compressors are designed for graphic artists and nail painters. Something to sit on the desk inside the salon and shoot thin paint and dyes. IMO, 68KingFisher got it right and it needed to be said with emphasis. If $75 is what you have for a compressor, get a tool compressor. No question whatever that it will develop the pressure you need to paint crankbaits. And maybe you can use it on a spray gun, fill auto tires, drive a brad nailer, etc. Yes, you can find an artist's airbrush compressor that delivers 40 psi constant working pressure, 50-60 psi before you pull the trigger. They tend to be pricey. My Badger retails for $190 and manages just that minimum 40 psi. But the main point is that many beginners see "30 psi Max" advertised and get seduced into buying a $70 Chinese compressor. Then they pull the trigger and find that 30 psi means a working pressure of 15 psi, too low for painting crankbaits. To low for just about anything except dying Easter eggs.

There are a lot of out here who are real dang happy with small airbrush compressors!! I have a $79, 1/8 hp tankless compressor from Harbor Freight with a quick easy-adjusting regulator, moisture trap, and hose, plus it hooked right up to my Iwata Eclipse and water and it makes a lot of the other airbrush units I've seen appear way overpriced. I spray "regular" RTU Createx airbrush paint, and never thin any of it. It makes about 60 psi, and constant spraying pressure is 28, which is plenty. It doesn't pulse, and I think my painting is adequate, no problem with fades etc. I certainly don't need more compressor for my lure painting...I paint in the house and it just makes a soothing purr that doesn't disturb my wife in the next room. I've had this Harbor Freight compressor for almost 3 years now, and if it was stolen and my insurance paid me triple price for it, I'd replace it with the same model tomorrow.

:twocents:

Dean

There are a lot of out here who are real dang happy with small airbrush compressors!! I have a $79, 1/8 hp tankless compressor from Harbor Freight with a quick easy-adjusting regulator, moisture trap, and hose, plus it hooked right up to my Iwata Eclipse and water and it makes a lot of the other airbrush units I've seen appear way overpriced. I spray "regular" RTU Createx airbrush paint, and never thin any of it. It makes about 60 psi, and constant spraying pressure is 28, which is plenty. It doesn't pulse, and I think my painting is adequate, no problem with fades etc. I certainly don't need more compressor for my lure painting...I paint in the house and it just makes a soothing purr that doesn't disturb my wife in the next room. I've had this Harbor Freight compressor for almost 3 years now, and if it was stolen and my insurance paid me triple price for it, I'd replace it with the same model tomorrow.

:twocents:

Dean

Although I feel a bit gun shy on this subject at the moment, I would like to say your probably 100% correct.....there are most likely thousands of folks across the globe that use those little compressors on a regular basis and they work quite well for their needs.....Lord knows they've been selling that style unit for alot of years......And i'd also bet there are as equally many folks that purchased them, only to realize weeks later that those little units would not work to their expectations and then they wish they had spent their money on something bigger in the first place.

I suppose those are the folks I try to help by making the recommendations that I do in hopes it will keep them from possibly making a wrong purchase......I do have to remember as I make these comments that i'm now on a tackle making site and not an airbrushing site.....I've become so accustom to giving advice to newbie airbrushers in general that i've failed to realize the needs of a hobbiest lure painter may not be near as demanding as many other areas that utilize the airbrush....like paintin tee shirts or helmets or auto's or ??...which seems to be what most new airbrushers are looking to paint these days......So forgive me if i've insulted anyone on their choice of compressors or airbrush equipment....That was never my intent.....I still stand by what I said and I would never recommend one of those mini compressors to anyone, but it doesn't mean they might not work for you.;).....Same goes for all the off brand airbrushes that are available today.....they may work great for you, but I wouldn't recommend one.

What works for one guy won't work for another.....We were just talkin on another forum about how one guy can catch all his fish on something like a spinnerbait and the next guy say's he's never been able to catch a fish on one, and they fish the same areas....so go figure....lol.

K/F- I don't think you have to apologise for anything here, if someone is comfortable with what they are using and they are 'grown ups' then they should use it, after all they are the ones who suffer the consequences if they are wrong, how else do we learn, we take advice and move on from there, sometimes forward sometimes back, gee I do it all the time and then beat myself up!!

I have an acquaintance who will not breathe unless someone else recommends it, so all he does is breathe

I totally agree Pete. You post the advice gained from years of experience, then people can take it or leave it. You've done your job, certainly no need to apologise or justify your advice.

In fact, if people take the time to read back through all the miriad of airbrush/compressor posts, you will find the same messages comming through: big tanks, moisture traps, quality brushes, you get what you pay for. Nothing new going on here, just sound advice from an experienced artist.

Dave

I GOT SOME ADVICE that will save all you DIPSTICKS money!!!

MCDONALDS STRAW... :DSorry I could resist that layup.

To each his own.. 99 percent of the crap sold in stores is junk now a days anyway!.. Sometimes you can get a good one or a bad one from the same company..depends on the luck of the draw..but this is just my cocky opinion so dont beat me up on it or I will come over to your house and open up a can of WHIP BUTT ON YOU!!!

Expect you PETE your too dam far!!!.

For the record I purchased 2 small compressors at home depot and lowes when I first started.. both ran all the time and were very very loud... but back then I was painting about 10 to 15 hours per day. anyway... I blew the motor's up in about 2 months on each one.. Then I purchased IWATA's Airbrush Compressor.. dont remember the model..but later found out it was ment for CAKES not Lures.. So more money wasted.

Once I moved my work space out in the garage.. I purchased a 33 gallon 150 psi Craftsman from Sears for about 300 bucks and hooked up 6 guns to it. My compressor kicks on for about 3 mins and is very loud for a short period of time..but once it fills up. NO NOSIE..expect for loud Radio rockin to Captin and Tennille "LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER!":o...but then I can paint a good hour or so in quiet.. and the way I taught myself to paint.. I like 60 PSI and move my hand really fast while I paint so I need the airflow.

Dean and I have talked about this same subject in the past...and he is very satisfied with his TINY LITTLE SMALL PACKAGE! and some do fine using their SMALL TINY LITTLE Stuff with amazing performance and no complaints from the wife!................."LONG DRAMATIC PAUSE"..................but! MY WIFE SAID "GO BIGGER BABY!!! AND KEEP IT QUIET so you dont wake up the kids!" :halo: So I purchased an upgrade with powerful airflow and longer lasting stamina!

So my advice to you is...Do whatever makes your wife happy! :teef: AND!!!! NEVER TAKE THIS CRAP TOO SERIOUS.. FISHING IS FUN.. and LURE MAKING IS FUN.. if you can't have fun in life your already dead!

The Rookie.

Edited by The_Rookie

NEVER TAKE THIS CRAP TOO SERIOUS.. FISHING IS FUN.. and LURE MAKING IS FUN.. if you can't have fun in life your already dead!

The Rookie.

Well said Rookie....well said.

For the record I started using an airbrush with canned air......:eek:......didn't take but a few minutes to realize that was a mistake so I aquired a used 1/8hp unit.....that carried me a few months before I decided it wouldn't cut the mustard either.....next unit was a used Dayton on a 2gal tank....mated it with a 20 gal tank I ran across at a garage sale for dirt cheap, so I ended up with 22 gals.....the compressor ran longer then it should but as Rookie pointed out once it shut off your good to go for awhile....noise free....that unit served me well for close to 15yrs.....then my lovely wife gave me the compressor of my dreams for my birthday......6.5hp, 220v, 65gal upright tank.:yeah:........I've been walkin in tall cotton ever since.....This unit will outlive me for sure....its not near as loud as you might think, and I can paint for half a day before it kicks back on.....the other great part for me, is I can use pneumatic airtools now, so I purchased a full set of impacts and air ratchets and what not to use in the garage when i'm tinkering with my old jalopy's and motorcycles.....all the kids in the neighborhood know where to come when they need air in their bicycle tires too....lol.:yay: