BobP

Glow Paint?

Does anyone use it and if so, what is your experience with it? I was lake fishing for stripers under threadfin shad schools last December with a glow white jigging spoon and hooking up on every cast. Other guys were catching on non-glow baits, but not as quickly. So I've ordered some glow paint to doctor some spoons for the coming late fall Striper Fest and to use when jigging for largemouth under shad schools this winter.

You can now get nontoxic unpigmented (off-white in daylight) acrylic paint that glows one of several colors and the stuff works longer/stronger than the "old days". I'm not sure how best to apply it but I'm going to try a large tip airbrush. Would appreciate any tips from those who have used it.

Rookie, not you. You probably only use it as body paint when you attend local raves:lol:

check out www.glonation.com

they have paint as well as powder. haven't used the paint but the powder glows great for a long time. i sprayed the lure with acrylic and then just dumped the powder on it and then shook off what wouldn't stick. let it set up for a while and then clearcoated over it.

here's a pic of the belly of the lure shot in the dark with the flash off and a pic of the finished lure. i just put the powder on the belly of the lure.

IMG_0510.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Rayburn Guy, from reading about UV enhanced DN and glow paints, I think they are two different animals. UV enhanced DN fluoresces when hit by UV light. Glow paint stores UV energy and releases it so that in total darkness, it still lights up. Glow paint is usually off white in color but can glow various colors (green, blue, red, teal, aqua, etc) depending on the chemistry. The different glow colors have different durations. Green is the most intense and can last 12-13 hrs, red only lasts 30 minutes, etc. They can also add paint pigment to glow paint so it will have a color in daylight, but that doesn't control the glow color. JR, after checking what glow color my existing "striper killer spoon" had (green) I ordered some glow paint from Glonation yesterday!

Hey Guys! We do make & sell Nite Glow (G80) paint, which is glow-in-the-dark (Light Emitting/Phosphorescent), we also make Fluorescent (Day Glow) paints, and then there is the UV Active Top-Coat. 3 different animals altogether.

Our Nite Glow, like all our other paints, is definitely NOT non toxic though, like the stuff BobP described.

Just a "FYI".

Dick

Rayburn Guy, from reading about UV enhanced DN and glow paints, I think they are two different animals. UV enhanced DN fluoresces when hit by UV light. Glow paint stores UV energy and releases it so that in total darkness, it still lights up. Glow paint is usually off white in color but can glow various colors (green, blue, red, teal, aqua, etc) depending on the chemistry. The different glow colors have different durations. Green is the most intense and can last 12-13 hrs, red only lasts 30 minutes, etc. They can also add paint pigment to glow paint so it will have a color in daylight, but that doesn't control the glow color. JR, after checking what glow color my existing "striper killer spoon" had (green) I ordered some glow paint from Glonation yesterday!

let me know what you think of the paint. i have only tried the powder which glows great but the paint would be a lot easier to work with.

Glonation Green glow paint -

I ordered 4 oz, it came in 4 ea 1 oz jars. The price was good and the shipping was fast via USPS from Kentucky.

This paint is a non-toxic off-white acrylic soft gel. The gel keeps the grains of glow substance (strontium aluminate) from settling in the jar. It is quite grainy and if you rub it between your fingers, it feels like the paint is laced with fine salt. I used it on some Jann's Netcraft jigging spoons that were basecoated white (recommended in the instructions). First, I thinned the gel with some airbrush flow medium and shot it through the large tip of a Badger 175T. It sprayed but for the best glow, several coats would have been needed. Not wanting to wait, I brushed on 2 thick coats of the unthinned gel with a soft artist's brush, waiting an hour between coats. Turned off the lights and voila - lots of glow. I'll let it dry completely and topcoat it.

Observations - I was a little surprised at the graininess. The lure surface is still grainy after it dries but not so much that a clearcoat won't smooth it out. There are surely glow paints better suited to airbrush application and they are probably more expensive (Glonation is one of the cheapest glow paints I found via Google). Overall, I'm happy with the end results.

Edited by BobP