limitbass

new here and question about pop r's

Not sure if this is what your talking about, but we used to "shave" the bottom lip on pop-r's. That made it give more of a "splooshing" sound versus a popping sound. It kind of pushed water instead of the popping or chugging. All you do is take sandpaper or a dremel and start taking material of the bottom lip. You will need to experiment a little to get the right sound and don't take off too much at a time. I also heard that Zell Rowland used to sand the sides of the bait to make the walls thinner. Not sure what he was trying to achieve by doing this. Hope this helps.

That's what we always did. You just start sanding the part of the bottom lip that sticks out the farthest. Be sure to keep the contour centered as best you can and be sure and blend it in with the body. You can do this while at the lake or in a swimming pool. Sand a little and try it. When you get it right you can definitely tell the difference in the sound. :yay:

I have also done the same thing,works great.If all else fails buy a Don Iovino,Splash-It.It is in my opinion a far better bait than a regular pop-r. It has been the best $14.00 I have ever spent.I got my last one hung in the wing of a Heron this summer and fought with that bird for twenty min. to get it back...Rob

Not sure if this is what your talking about, but we used to "shave" the bottom lip on pop-r's. That made it give more of a "splooshing" sound versus a popping sound. It kind of pushed water instead of the popping or chugging. All you do is take sandpaper or a dremel and start taking material of the bottom lip. You will need to experiment a little to get the right sound and don't take off too much at a time. I also heard that Zell Rowland used to sand the sides of the bait to make the walls thinner. Not sure what he was trying to achieve by doing this. Hope this helps.

I have one of Zell's pop r's. It's numbered and a card signed by Zell. What do you think it is worth? Note the sides are sanded, it measures lot smaller than standard pop r's.

Sand the bottom lip to blunt it slightly and make it "spit" and dart better. Also, do not use a loop knot, snap, or split ring, but tie a tight knot directly to the line-tie and pull it downward towards the lip. Work it aggressively, keeping it moving quickly with a soft tip rod. The modded Pop-R should dart erratically and dive a little while doing it, while making a nice "pffffttt-pfffffttt kind of sound. It is a heckuva weapon for particularly post-spawn bass worked this way. Weeds and/or clouds will lengthen the duration of what is normally an early morning bite.

Dean