RayburnGuy

Easy way to paint gills

Some of you may have already figured this out or have been doing it forever. I thought about it while watching a DVD about painting baits. The guy doing the video was dipping different size nail heads into paint and then gently touching them to the bait to paint eyes. That got me to thinking. Why couldn't that be done with gill plates? I took a piece of 3/8" wooden dowel rod and drilled a hole down the length of the dowel rod trying to keep it as centered as I could. Then I took and cut one side of this off. That left me with a crescent moon shape. Then I sanded the crescent moon part at a slight angle so it would fit the rounded baits that I'm repainting. After a little whittling and sanding I got the desired thickness I wanted on the "crescent". Then you just dip it in a little paint and gently press it onto the side of the bait where you want the gills to go. It helps if you have a steady hand, but I shake like the dickens and after bracing against the table it seems to have turned out pretty good. You might have to use a different size dowel rod for larger or smaller baits, but the principle should remain the same. (I didn't paint this bait. It's just one I was trying out the dowel rod on.) Hope this helps some of you. :yay:

RayburnGuy

The hollow brass tubes used for coring foam in popper making do a fine job of this as well. Press and turn or rock them slightly to dig in a bit and it makes a nice little gouge for gills.

I even use these to "cheat" little eye circles, heck if I can make a good paint circle. I like to score the outline for stuff THEN go at it with the paint, sometimes just a dab & wipe will fill the gouges nicely for starters.