allstate48

Another etex question

Made a lure, painted it, everything is fine. Put some reflective tape on the back, with some ribs in it. It stuck to the lure fine. Put a coat of Enviotex on it, and the tape starts to come loose. I put some rubber gloves on, and tried to resecure it, but just keeps pulling loose on the seam. I'm hoping I didn't get the etex mixed right, maybe it will stay soft, and I can try something else. What should I have done? Thanks Doug

Etex contains solvent and may have loosened the adhesive on the tape. Next time, you might try an epoxy that contains no solvent, like Devcon 2 Ton. There is often a problem with any adhesive detail such as 3D eyes or tape becoming unstuck because they are flat and the bait is round. They want to go back to their flat shape and though the pressure exerted is slight, it can lift the edges. In my experience, this ALWAYS happens after you apply the epoxy but before it hardens.

Edited by BobP

I had the same problem with stick on eyes on my first couple of baits as well. Then I started to lightly coat the eyes with sally hansen hard as nails, let it dry and then used etex. I've had no problem since. I assume it just seals the edges and won't allow the epoxy to seep under and raise it off. Hope it helps.

I have a couple of questions. What is the bait made of and if its wood did you stick the tape to the wood itself or was the bait cleared first? Or does the bait itself have severe curves or is it a flat sided bait?Is the tape thick like witchcraft tape or is it foil? All these will play a part in tape rolling up. I never had luck with wood baits that I didnt etex first. Im not saying it wont work but for me I get a better adhesion when im not dealing with the grain.If the bait is a round bait, the tape is thick and does bend and curve natural to the bait,you have to force the bend and if there is any contaminants on the bait like oil from your skin adhesion is compromised.These are a couple other things that may be the culprit.:yay:

If the baits not sealed well or you tape on an unsealed wood bait the etex will soak in the grain and get under the tape and cause the tape to lift. Even if you seal the bait and the the grain is thick the etex will soak under the tape by following the grooves of the grain.I like to foil baits and for my musky jerks I always etex first,let dry, foil, etex again to smooth the seams out , paint , then etex again. Some might disagree but I dont ever have any problems at all.:yay: