Kris

Taping off Crankbait Lip ?

I know this is a stupid question ... but here goes ...

Any tips / tricks on taping off the the lip on a crank? I put my lips on before I paint and tape them off. BUT it seems I spending ALOT of time taping these things off. Trying to get a straight line across the lip, working around the hardware on the lip and trying to get a straight edge on the side of the lip to match with the top and bottom taping of the lip (if that desc. makes sense) :huh:

When building baits from scratch, I use a piece of scrap lip material with a hole drilled in the end of it as a "false lip" by which to hold the bait while painting it, then hang it up via the hole while doing the next bait. I wrap a piece of blue painters tape over the false lip if needed to get a good friction fit in the lip slot. Epoxy in the real lip later, just beforeI topcoating the bait. On repaints and plastic lure blanks, you have to tape off the lip. It takes as long as it takes. I use thin strips of tape near the nose of the bait, then larger pieces to the tip.

One of the Lure component suppliers sells blanks with bills installed. The bills are taped for painting. The tape is white and seems to work very well. Whoever does the taping is a master. they use one piece of tape for the bill including a uniform job near the body. I would like to find some of this tape(?).

I use 1/4 in. green tape for automotive trim for close work. Its not great but I getrdone.

I just tape as close as I can to the lure body without actually touching it, and paint.

Even if I wind up with some paint on the lip, which a lot of successful commercial lures have, it's not a problem, as long as I'm careful to cover the painted part with top coat, too.

Lucky Craft actually paint their craw cranks with claws on the lip, and then top coats the whole thing.

When you're lure is wobbling along in the water, or bouncing off the bottom, the fish won't notice any paint on the bill, and, if you make nice, straight lines when you mask the bill (I use blue painters tape), it will look clean and crisp.