CHROMEDOG

Question on foil

Has anyone tried, or can I put foil over my bait using a spray adhesive? Then coat with a layer of devcon, scuff with fine sandpaper and then airbrush to get the metallic look under the paint design? Or does the sanding of the devcon to give the paint something to adhere, get cloudy and not allow the foil underneath to have any properties with the finished bait?

You can use an adhesive or you can use foil tape, like aluminum duct tape or stained glass artists's tape. I like BriteBak artist's tape because it sticks well and is very thin, so doesn't leave thick edges. You can use Devcon just as you said and can sand it if you want. The later clearcoat fills in the small scratches and turn the milky surface back to clear (same with sanding a clear plastic bait - the later topcoat makes it clear again). When I use thin BriteBak foil, I dispense with the epoxy over foil step and paint directly onto the foil, which as a plastic backing. The paint won't adhere as well as to epoxy but if you are careful and don't scratch it off, it becomes durable when you clearcoat the bait. One reason to epoxy over the foil is to hide the edges, which stick out noticably with thick foil or foil tape.

Edited by BobP

Bob does your foil come in a gold or any different colors besides the chrome color? Im not familiar with that brand and Im always looking at different options , but what im really wanting is a tape foil with a gold look to it. Dont mean to get off topic but the thought just hit me, sorry. :(. Thanks for any info :yay:.......Jamie

You can use an adhesive or you can use foil tape, like aluminum duct tape or stained glass artists's tape. I like BriteBak artist's tape because it sticks well and is very thin, so doesn't leave thick edges. You can use Devcon just as you said and can sand it if you want. The later clearcoat fills in the small scratches and turn the milky surface back to clear (same with sanding a clear plastic bait - the later topcoat makes it clear again). When I use thin BriteBak foil, I dispense with the epoxy over foil step and paint directly onto the foil, which as a plastic backing. The paint won't adhere as well as to epoxy but if you are careful and don't scratch it off, it becomes durable when you clearcoat the bait. One reason to epoxy over the foil is to hide the edges, which stick out noticably with thick foil or foil tape.

As an alternative to the BriteBak, one can pick up some "Ultra Foil" from most Dollar Stores. It has to be the flimsiest household foil on Earth, but it's flimsiness makes it great for foiling plugs. I use spray adhesive to affix it to the plugs.:twocents:

DSCF0004-18.jpg

I took the time to lay out overlapping sequins, glueing them to wood, a scale pattern. Then I rub the foil over to get a scale look to the foil. Then glue it using a two part quick set epoxy. Envirotex over the top. Havent played with painting the E.T. yet. But I would do a couple of colors with E.T. in between. Fish won't care though...:nuhuh:

Well I am surprised that no one uses gold leaf. It comes in many colors and some varietys are pretty inexpensive. They also have copper, aluminium, silver and a few multi colored mottled ones which can make some pretty interesting backrounds. It does take some practice to use but not much. It is so thin I dont even have to hide the edge I just paint right over it and it does not show. For adding scales I put the netting over the primed and spray with clear down the middle of the bait. Let dry for a few minutes and peel of the netting. Now the scales are high spots on the bait and put the leaf over the side and get a 3D shiny textured bait. Blend color over the top and bottom lines are gone and the scales are blended in. If you dont like the color of the leaf just add candy colors over the top to get the color you want.

Well I am surprised that no one uses gold leaf. It comes in many colors and some varietys are pretty inexpensive. They also have copper, aluminium, silver and a few multi colored mottled ones which can make some pretty interesting backrounds. It does take some practice to use but not much. It is so thin I dont even have to hide the edge I just paint right over it and it does not show. For adding scales I put the netting over the primed and spray with clear down the middle of the bait. Let dry for a few minutes and peel of the netting. Now the scales are high spots on the bait and put the leaf over the side and get a 3D shiny textured bait. Blend color over the top and bottom lines are gone and the scales are blended in. If you dont like the color of the leaf just add candy colors over the top to get the color you want.

Still searching for those leafs, they are used for painting also, in Romania they are used for icons. I've heard that you can place some glue on the lure with the exact shape you want the foil to look like, apply the foil than gently brush the exces with an ordinary brush, it is so thin :) oh yes it takes some practice to get used to it :whistle:

P.S. Frank , post some pics please

Edited by pikeman

Is there a trick to applying the foil? I see some that are just so smooth. I bought a roll of 5" x 250' foil at the local beauty supply place. It is real thin, gold on one side and silver on the other. I played with it for a few minutes yesterday but today I am going to get to business and I will let you know how it went.

Jamie

I too use what Bob P mentioned (BriteBak) .. You dont have to use any glues etc .. Just measure , cut , peel backing and Stick on.. Great Stuff to work with.. Look on my pictures .. Those Foiled ones are done using BriteBak...

Take Care :)

Boone

Thanks Boone, nice pics. Ive been useing the old standard foil tape for years and was looking at some different options on color.:yay:

Finally got the photo to take. Look at my photo to see the leaf with the scales under the leaf. The bottom of the bait has white over the edge of the leaf ,no clear just paint . Here is a link on supplyshttp://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=651

Edited by Frank
add more content

One thing that I've done is to white out me lure. Then cut out the foil from a cigerette package. The foil from the cigerette package has a pattern on it already. Them put on a layer of 2TE. Just before it's dry lay your preshaped foil on your lure, It's like glue and it takes some pratice too. The only thing bad is the paper under the foil will soak up the 2TE and give you a ridge to smooth out. In other words you have to use more 2TE too get it looking good. You can lay your foil on while the 2TE is just alittle wet and you can slide it around some.

Edited by JLester
Miss spelling