Kris

Oil or Oilless Compressor

Thinking about getting a new compressor. I did a search on "compressor" but couldn't find any info on compressors that use oil.

My local Home Depot has some 10 gal compressors w/ Briggs & Stratton for $75.

I was wondering if there is a disadvantage to using a compressor that uses oil for airbrushing?

Will the oil find its way to the AB?

The only issue with oiled compressors is that you have to change the oil every hundred hours of use or so, or every few months. Oil-less compressors are slightly more convenient since you don't have to change the oil but they don't last as long.

I've had no issues with oil getting into the line whatsoever.

10 gal for $75? buy it, the tank itself is worth more than that. If you don't like the compressor you can fit another one but the 10 gal tank would cost you more than that probably.

Edited by clamboni

I sold compressors to dental clinics as part of my old job. single, double, triple heads. oiled and oiless.

I worked with techs, factory reps and end users.

All of them generally agreed that short term reliability was the same for oiled and oil less. Long term (past 2-5 year warranty period) durability went to the oiled units hands down. This was for compressors that were on duty 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We never changed the oil. Just topped them off. The object was not to let them run dry. But that was for dental compressors. May not be the same for our teeny units.

I've been airbrushing along time and i've never once had an issue with oil getting into the airbrush....Other then the occasional maintanance of changing or adding oil, they are quieter and more reliable over the long haul then oil-less units....Don't let the oil keep you from purchasing a compressor...thats actually a plus in my book...lol

Yes, my compressor is oiled........just think about it. Most small air compressors have a piston in a cylinder attached to the motor. The piston has a reed valve on it so air can only go through one way. Metal on metal. What's gonna last you longer and be quieter? One that's lubricated or one that's not?