finlander

Fatfingers' Tutorial About Etex..

I just put a second coat of Etex over a foiled body. It was still tacky from this am's 1st coat. Do I try to paint it in the am while the Etex is still tacky, and then coat it again?? Does sanding between coats help if it sets up and you cant be there at the right time? Thanks, Bruce.

I just put a second coat of Etex over a foiled body. It was still tacky from this am's 1st coat. Do I try to paint it in the am while the Etex is still tacky, and then coat it again?? Does sanding between coats help if it sets up and you cant be there at the right time? Thanks, Bruce.

You don't need to sand between coats.....not necessary. If you can put the second coat on while the first is still tacky go ahead. If it cures up on you, clean the surface first with a paper towel then go to your paint or next coat of etex. I don't ever paint over a tacky surface but you probably could.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

If you get a second coa on within 24 hours there is no need to sand, it will key onto the previous coat.pete

I like to coat a second coat when the lure is still tacky.The two coats will bond to each other and become one. This is why on the turner I place a scrape piece of wood with some excess clear coated on it to test for tackiness. Room temps and humidity causes this stuff set up at different times so I use the scrape piece to check to see if its ready or not(more if I can turn the dryer off than the other) The scrape piece has saved me on several occasions.