finlander

Compressor Wont Start

Anyonr have any experience with a Bear Air- Polar Bear model 1000? It is out od warranty of course. Never ran it very long at anyone time. Piston moves freely at one end. Are the switches reel cheap? I use it in the same room where I cut wood and such. Not a clean area but I sweep it regularly. Any ideas what I might look for?

Edited by finlander

It worth a shot. I'd look to see if a contact on the switch (or elsewhere) has come loose. If not, try jumping the switch contacts to see if that's the problem. If it is, you can buy a new one at Radio Shack. Careful you don't electrocute yourself, of course. One thing I'd check first - If the Bear has auto-off, the switch that controls that can also be a problem. On my cylindrical Badger compressor, that switch is under the end cap where the air intake is and you can remove the end cap simply by removing 2 screws. It's a simple switch with a single screw adjustment that determines the pressure level that will open/close the switch. It can get stuck open or closed, or vibration can cause the adjustment screw to back out.

Turned out to be the toggle switch on top. Havent connected with Bear Air to let them know what I found out. Not sure if I want to rig my own switch, go to the shack or see if Bear would send me one. Prolly co$T more in s & h than the part is worth. Pried it open and looks like something broke inside. I really like the quiet of this one, dont want to use the monster even after one session.

Edited by finlander

This may be a topic for a new thread, but I'll start here. I have this big honkin' compressor for my pneumatic nailguns, & tools just sitting here and was wondering if anyone has ever adapted one to airbrush use? Seems like adding attachments to dial down the air pressure should do the trick. Thoughts? Solutions? Experiments??

This may be a topic for a new thread, but I'll start here. I have this big honkin' compressor for my pneumatic nailguns, & tools just sitting here and was wondering if anyone has ever adapted one to airbrush use? Seems like adding attachments to dial down the air pressure should do the trick. Thoughts? Solutions? Experiments??

I have a 65 gallon 6.5hp 220v upright unit that is mainly used for airbrushing.....you just need a regulator to adjust the tank pressure down to something usable for airbrushing and chances are your big compressor already has one.

A Big honkin compressor works great and only kicks on every few hours or so depending on the tank capacity....fire it up and use it.