MikePaintsBaits

Clear Coat

My DN is running low, Id like to use another 1 part clear coat, has anyone been using something close to DN, and are U happy with it?

My 2nd thought is using devcon 2 ton, but I guess Ill need to have a drying wheel and/or can I get away with not using one?

Thanks Mike

Are you spraying, brushing, dipping?

Mike: I just went online to ask a similar question. As pointed out several times, DN is a moisture cure poly>>>. Several have stated that other products have the same characteristics. I would like to know if among the many manufacturers which one do our experts prefer? I would like to know if the "Rookie" would be willing to share some thoughts along this line. He may not since he is in "production." Can't hurt to ask.

ken

Hey Doc, heres the info fishwhitter gave me.

Flex Coat Ultra V high build two part rod finish. You may want to get these epoxy syringes. They will make equal measurement much easier. You have plenty of time to brush it on; it takes about 6 hours to set to touch and 24 hours to fully cure (it will continue to harden for several days though). Any bubbles in the finish can be removed with a heat gun, but don't get the lure to hot! If you do, the paint and/or epoxy will bubble and your paint job will be ruined. I clean my brushes with either lacquer thinner or acetone.

Hi all,

I have just used D2T top coat on my powder painted spinner baits for the first time, I was a little disappointed by the way it has reduced or changed the color in some of the baits.

The application was done by brush, maybe not the best but I don't have a spray gun yet.

It was easy to use and went on well and for the solid colors like black or dark purple not a problem, but dragonfly green has really been affected.

I am looking for a simple easy way to clear coat over the eyes to stick them permanently if anyone has other suggestions I would love to hear them.

Cheers

Hey Doc, no problem, all the info I know, it wont yellow, from what Ive read, see below:

Flex Coat Ultra V Rod Finish

NEW Ultra V Rod Finish

In keeping with our tradition of providing rod builders with the latest advances in technology, Flex Coat is proud to introduce our new Ultra V formulation. Ultra V’s unsurpassed UV protection and improved chemical stability results in unequaled clarity and brightness, while maintaining the highest durability and flexibility properties of any finish on the market today.

Fishwhittler, will have to chime in on how many baits can be done. The site I went to was (Mud Hole Custom Tackle).

Hey Doc, no problem, all the info I know, it wont yellow, from what Ive read, see below:

Flex Coat Ultra V Rod Finish

NEW Ultra V Rod Finish

In keeping with our tradition of providing rod builders with the latest advances in technology, Flex Coat is proud to introduce our new Ultra V formulation. Ultra V’s unsurpassed UV protection and improved chemical stability results in unequaled clarity and brightness, while maintaining the highest durability and flexibility properties of any finish on the market today.

Fishwhittler, will have to chime in on how many baits can be done. The site I went to was (Mud Hole Custom Tackle).

Using the syringes, it takes about 1cc to cover an average sized (2-3") lure. I don't know how many lures you can coat out of the 8oz. kit (which is what I get), but it's quite a few.

The finish may yellow, but this is the result of unequal measurement or not mixing thoroughly. If you measure equally and mix thoroughly you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Ben

I use flex coat as well and I can coat 4-6 lures from 2cc mixed batch, depends on the lure size. This stuff is like e-tex (very thin and runny) I let the mixed batch sit for 10 min before I start brushing it on the baits. I turn my baits for 2hrs and then hang them to finish the curing process. I use 2 coats per bait and the 2nd coat is applied within 24 hrs. Bubbles are easy to remove by blowing warm breath on the bait.

A few other companies sell moisture cured poly, like Garco (Amazon.com has it for $30/gal) but I haven't tried them and can't recommend. Most of the other companies sell it as a floor finish. If you experiment, be sure to get one that is clear, not amber in color. There are not a lot of other options if you want a very durable one part finish for dipping baits.

A drying wheel makes any epoxy easier to use but it isn't absolutely necessary with Devcon Two Ton because it's thicker and cures faster than most. I have brushed Devcon and hung baits to cure, switching them head/tail for the first 40 minutes to prevent sags, and it worked OK. Thinner epoxies like Flexcoat and Envirotex Lite (Etex) need a wheel because they are solvent modified and runnier than Devcon.

The Target Coatings 9000 series water based coatings have been discussed on TU and a few other bass fishing sites. Some like them, others have had poor durability and peeling. I haven't seen enough history on usage, details about application, or how it fits into an overall finishing system to make an informed decision to use it as a clearcoat.

If I run out of DN, I'll use Devcon until Dick Nite begins selling again. All clearcoats have a learning curve to get best results and these are the ones I know how to use without the 'drama' of hit-or-miss results.

A few other companies sell moisture cured poly, like Garco (Amazon.com has it for $30/gal) but I haven't tried them and can't recommend. Most of the other companies sell it as a floor finish. If you experiment, be sure to get one that is clear, not amber in color. There are not a lot of other options if you want a very durable one part finish for dipping baits.

is this what you were talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Diamond-Premium-Polyurethane-Drying/dp/B001OLZKUO/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1258675772&sr=8-44