Marlake

Help Needed

Hi folks--I'm from the Northeast and my bass fishing season has just about come to an end. Since retiring, I keep very busy for 3 seasons golfing and fishing but I have no cold weather activities to get me through the winter.

I am interested in carving and painting a few crankbaits and I was led to this site by one of your members who responded to my post on another fishing forum where I was looking for direction to learn how to get started.

I have spent hours scouring this site and I'm impressed with the skill and knowlege that is displayed here.

After trying to digest the info and how it applies to my situation, I now own a Badger 350 w/ medium tip, a few bottles of Createx paint and I have ordered harware (hooks, screw eyes, lips etc.)

I have carved a few bodies with pine, poplar, and balsa--don't care for the poplar.

I'm sorry for being long winded but, I want to show my commitment to this project.

My question,finally, is--when trying to do the air brush exercises recommended, I can't seem to adjust my brush to make the lines and dots as illustrated in the manual. Am I expecting too much from this model/type of air brush or am I doing something wrong?

Nope, you aren't doing anything wrong. The Badger 350 is a siphon fed external mix airbrush designed for heavier paints, according to Badger. To paint with more detail, an internal mix brush would be better because its trigger controls both the air stream and the amount of paint being released. Even with a different brush, it takes practice to do lines and dots (especially doing 2 sides of the bait the same!). I suggest using paint templates for the finer details on your baits. Many of us do!

Marlake-- The guy who done those lines and dots is probably in an asylum- he was locked in a room for three months until he could produce a small sheet of paper with perfect lines and dots, they photo copied and reduced it, then sold copies to all the other airbrush manufacturers and made a fortune- It's amazing what you can do with a printer/photocopier.

Save yourself some frustration and your marriage, do as Bob says and make some stencils.

I'm also a sceptic.pete