Kris

Some Of My Work

Man they sure look great, if I can get mine to look like that in a couple of months I will be estatic. What kind of paint do you use and how did you get your scale patterns. I have seen some scale masking on Jann's Netcraft website, does anyone have an opionion on that process that might help me.

Crash

Crash08, I use Createx, Polyranspar and Wildlife mostly ... water based. Like most guys I use all sorts of things for my scales. You can use what is called Tule (find at Wal-Mart, HobbyLobby, Michaels), Minnow Net, etc. You can even use the bag that small tomatoes and garlic comes in. I look for anything that will give me a scale look.

With the bait on a x-acto knife handle I cover the bait with the scale net and clamp it around the bottom w/ cloths pins or whatever. Shoot my color( done in light coats), then hit it w/some light heat from a heat gun or blow dryer (I hit the bait w/heat for just a few seconds. Don't want the paint to dry ... net will stick and pull your work up) and then carefully pull your netting off. I practiced shooting paint through net before attempting on a bait to find out how much or how little is needed.

I did mess up a few before I got what I wanted ...

PM w/ an email address I can send you a pic of what I'm talking about with the x-acto knife if that would help.

startos201, The way I got started was I got my hands on Amistad Tackle's DVD on painting baits and watched it and thought that looked like something I would enjoy and could do. Then got on the web in search of more info and came across TU and that is where I got most of my info and "how-to's" and started playing. The people here are great and very helpful. This is the only site I visit when I need info or need to know how to do something.

Crash,

At the moment I cover my baits with a white primer which you can find at Michael's also made by Valspar.

There is A LOT of info on the site about topcoating. The 2 most used are Dick Nite's and Devcon 2 Ton epoxy. You can get the D2T at either a Ace Hardware or Bass Pro Shops. You can also order online from several places...try TowerHobbies.com

I'm using the D2T right now. It is a 2 part expoxy that you have to mix up and brush on. You will also need a drying wheel to turn the bait while the epoxy is setting. The drying wheel helps the epoxy to set up level. I can send you a pic of mine. I think it cost me about $25-30 to build.