turtlebait

Airbrush Advice

Hey guys, I am fairly new to bait making and airbrushing so I hope you can help me with some questions. Right now I have a Badger 155 Anthem but can't acheive the fine details I want. Is it just me or the airbrush? If it is the airbrush what airbrush should I get(under $150)? I like what I've heard about Iwata, Badger and the Air Pro Tools PS900. Also, how important is a MAC valve and what does it do? Thanks for reading.

As to fault - you or the brush - it's probably a bit of both :) An airbrush with a smaller tip size (.2mm or less) will make things easier but detail depends on artistic skill and hand/eye coordination. Air pressure and the viscosity of the paint also play. A MAC valve is an air pressure control valve built into the front of an airbrush. Same function as any air pressure control, just made handier by including it in the barrel of the airbrush. I'm a hack lure painter and my experience has been that freehand detail is difficult and requires lots of practice. It's even harder when you take into account that whatever you do on Side A needs to match Side B. The saving grace is that paint templates can get you to the same place with a lot less drama and fewer screw ups. Lure manufacturers use them extensively, why not us?