Marlake

Transluscent/opaque?

I've painted about half a dozen baits so far and with the help of this forum, I am pleasantly surprised with the outcome. I am not very good with computers so I don't know how to put pictures on this site or I would be proud to do so. If for no other reason but to show other new guys the possibilities. I had my doubts early on. Suffice it to say that my fishin' buddies don't believe that I made these crankbaits so, that is validation enough for me.

Question----I use opaque Createx paints and I see they also offer transluscent paints. Why/when would I choose one over the other?

Translucent paint allows you to do more gradual color transitions, color layering, and finer shading effects - which can look more naturalistic. You can still shoot it a little heavier for a solid effect. It's not a huge difference from opaque but translucent offers a few more options. Why do they call translucent paint "transparent"? Now there's a good question!

Translucent paint allows you to do more gradual color transitions, color layering, and finer shading effects - which can look more naturalistic. You can still shoot it a little heavier for a solid effect. It's not a huge difference from opaque but translucent offers a few more options. Why do they call translucent paint "transparent"? Now there's a good question!

Thanks,BobP

Some transparent colors, like Wildlife irridescent violet, actually flash off and on, depending on how the lure is held. It has something to do with the shape of the pigment particles, I think. They give you a chance to add subtle color changes, like hilighting the shoulders and back of a lure, but keeping the original paint scheme. Light coats are the key.

Edited by mark poulson

If you ever order some clear blanks to paint, you will find very quickly that making 'GHOST' patterns works very well with transparent/translucent colors. In my opinion layering the Createx Bright Green or Bright Yellow over another color will more often than not, create a better look than using an opaque color. Of course there are times when only opaques will do the job, but I would recommend trying those first two along with the brown, red and orange.

Also there are several wildlife colors like the Bass Green series etc that are just great to work with.