BassNator 1

Questions on the Devcon

Ok Im confused and aggravated on the Devcon. First off I have been using an epoxy as a Clear Coat that I got out of Stamina. Its a 2 Part Clear Coat Epoxy and if you have the current catalogue its on page 43. Im p-o-d cause I was putting on my Split Rings and I guess I must have messed up and missed... ??? somehow and LATER, like today... I noticed a nice sized chip off of the top coat by the screw eye. So I have to re apply another topcoat. Now with that being said, I also picked up an Epoxy wood repair made by Loc-Tite. This wood repair is not clear, it actually dries a little bit darker than my Poplar Im using for my lures.This stuff is DYNAMITE and Ive been using it to fill in like as a wood filler for my weight placements as well as Epoxying in the Lip. Only bear is, if you let it harden for the 25 hours..... ITS HARD AS NAILS and a real "B" to Sand. If you start sanding after youve let it sit... it is a little easier.. but it kind of peels.

Now I bought some Devcon, its a two part Epxoy with the built in Syringe system. OF COURSE Before I opened it up I noticed the Color IS NOT CLEAR. Before I bought any more and replaced this, is the clear the GLOSS Clear... or just a clear? ( I noticed a Clear color there) Also, is this the same stuff you guys are using to hold the lip in place on the lure?

When I looked closer at the Sears Hardware stores selection of Devcon... there are like 5 different... so Im confused! Home Depot does not carry that brand... some others... but that is just as confusing as well. When I look at the package... what is it saying so I can match it up at least. HELP ME!!! PLEASE!!! Cody

Cody, The Devcon II has one clear tube and the other has a slight yellow tint. This epoxy does dry CLEAR. The 5 min. epoxy has both tubes clear, and will dry clear, but will yellow over time. When using Devcon II, a trick I came up with is to mark the barrel of the syringe with a marker every 1/4". This way, every 1/4" of epoxy coats two 3" baits with a good thick coat of finish. I have found I have very little, if any waste doing this.Good Luck, Joe

Well my question is then... IS the Devon 2ton the same that you are using to GLUE on the lip AND glue in the Screw Eyes AND use as the top coat?? As mentioned above, I have been using 2 different epoxy's. The Clear Coat I got from Stamina does not cut it as an Epoxy Bond for glueing. And the Loc-Tite is a HARD DIFFERENT COLOR, that makes it hard for sanding. I dunno why, but finding that chip on the top coat is NOT making me confident in their product (From Stmina) either.

Thanks Cody

Cody, I like to use the 5 min. epoxy to set my bills. This epoxy sets up rather quickly and I uaually have time to attach 4 or 5 lips before the epoxy starts to set. The fact that it sets up quickly is a pluss for me, since I don't have to keep going back to check and adjust the lips as they dry. I use the Devcon II for my screw eyes because it sets up slower, I have time to install lots of hardware before the epoxy sets up. Yes, this is the same Devcon II I use for the top coat. I have tried to mix enough to do several baits at a time, but have run into problems with it setting before I was finished, so now I mix just enough for 2 baits at a time. As I said, 1/4"of Devcon is plenty enough for 2 good sized baits. Joe

Thats good info Joe. I got it now. I went back to the Sears Hardware and took back the other Devcon ( the wrong stuff) and exchanged it for the Devcon 2 Ton in CLEAR, and Bought the Devcon 5 minute, IN CLEAR!! and some Wood Putty.... so I dont have to struggle with the Loc Tite stuff. I am good to go now and Im ready to top coat my 2 Dee Look alikes! Im set to go and I appreciate the info. I found what Im looking for!

Cody

The byproduct from an epoxy reaction is heat. 5-minute epoxy creates more heat than the long set epoxies. That is what gives the short cure time - heat. The downside to that is a 5-minute will be more brittle than a 2-ton due to the heat generated in the cure. Will it make a difference to you? Only you can judge that.

You can speed up your cure time of a 2-ton, or any other longer open time epoxy, by putting it in a warm place. I have a drying box for rods that is 8' long and 14" square. I have two 2-bulb halogen undercabinet lights in there and they will boost the temp to just over 90 degrees. I can get 12-hour epoxy cured in about 6 hours. And still maintain full strength.