e6thomas

Hard Plastic Crankbait Painting

I am very new to lure creation and have decided to just dive in so I bought some unpainted plastic bodies and a paint gun. Any advice for a newbe is apreciated. Spacifically i need to know if I need to a primer coat on the bait prior to any other paint and what kind of clear coat should I put on to ensure the paint stays on the lure. Any advice and or links to vendors for paint and or materials is greatly appreciated.

This is a recurring topic and you may want to use the search feature at the top of the page to explore the options. Many guys don't use a primer, they just lay on a white color basecoat and shoot colors after lightly sanding the existing finish or spraying the lure with an adhesion promoter like Bullseye aerosol. As for topcoats, epoxy or polyurethane are favorites. There's a TON of info about each here in the Hard Baits forum. Search on Etex, Devcon, Dick Nite for a start.

for paints and other equipment u can try tcpglobal.com and coastairbrush.com. other than that i would have to agree with bobp and use the search. jus make sure u have about three hours to sit and read cause there is a lot of info here. ive just started myself not too long ago and ive learn more in the last week then i ever thought i could! thanks to all the TU members :worship:

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.

If your reading it in English, thank a Veteran!