MstormC

Top Coat Questions

So, I did a search and didn't quite come up with what I was looking for so....I'm going to ask it and someone is going to probably say that it was on such and such a thread. :lol:

I have a walk the dog type musky bait that I am repainting, with Golden's paint, for my fishing partner. After I get done painting it I would like to put a clear coat on it. The suick's that I have done I have used the Etec and could tell it added some weight but they were weighted baits so I didn't really worry about the three coats that got added. I've heard of the a spar varnish clear coat being used but have not experience with it, nor do I have any experience with the DN.

What do you all reccommend for a clear on this type of bait. I know he isn't going to care if his walk the dog lure becomes a sub surface lure but I would rather not have to worry about it either.

Any help is appreciated.

I use DN on bass baits but for musky baits, I'd want epoxy for the added thickness/tooth protection. Epoxy is thicker than polyurethanes, yes, but its specific gravity is only a little higher than water, so several coats of Etex on a musky walking bait shouldn't be much of a performance issue.