RayburnGuy

Paint Adhesion Problem

Sprayed a bait with a can of DupliColor chrome paint and then sprayed a transparent red over the chrome. The red did not stick to the chrome paint. You could rub it off with your finger after it dried. Should I have let the chrome paint completely dry and then scuffed it with a fine grit paper before spraying the red or are there other factors at work here? Have no idea what the chemistry is on the DupliColor chrome, but the transparent red was Createx. Any suggestions?

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Sprayed a bait with a can of DupliColor chrome paint and then sprayed a transparent red over the chrome. The red did not stick to the chrome paint. You could rub it off with your finger after it dried. Should I have let the chrome paint completely dry and then scuffed it with a fine grit paper before spraying the red or are there other factors at work here? Have no idea what the chemistry is on the DupliColor chrome, but the transparent red was Createx. Any suggestions?

Ben

Try sone bulldog adhesion promoter. O possibly a barrier coat between the chromeand the createx. Thinking out loud, I would try foiling the bait first and then using transparent red laquer over the foil.

Ben, I don't know the answer for this particular witch's brew of solvent and water based paint but if you sand the chrome, I'm pretty sure you'll get dull silver. I'd be inclined to get a can of candy red duplicolor and mist it over the chrome immediately after spraying it - or do what Vanndalizer said and use foil. I don't like using solvent paints so would go with the foil, but that's just me.

Thanks guys. This was kind of an experiment to see what I could come up with after finding the chrome paint in the garage. A friend said he was going to buy some chrome baits and have me mist a transparent red over them. Wanted to see if I could accomplish it without buying new baits. Haven't done any foiling yet and am really not ready to take up another project at this time. Think I'll just let him buy the chrome baits.

thanks again,

Ben

OK here is my thoughts on this one. You used an enamel paint that has oil and solvent with a water based paint and no solvent. Without the solvent it will not stick. To try something maybe put the same type of clear over the chrome and let dry then sand(scuff) the clear and put the red on. Mixing paint lines never works for me cause I know better.

Ben,

I understand the only chrome paint that actually looks like chrome costs ridiculous amounts of money (>$100). You ought to try foil! I use Venture Brite-bak adhesive backed tape and it couldn't be easier. lay the lure on the tape, outline it with a pencil, cut it out, peel and stick. I scale texture it after application by rolling a knurled knob from a pair of Vise Grips over the tape. There are lots of ways to foil a bait, this one IMO is the easiest that yields a very good and durable result.

The way I understand it, is that paints bond in one of two ways....mechanical bond via sanding scratches, or chemical bond via solvents. If you spray waterbase over solvent base your not getting a chemical bond and if you didn't sand the surface your not getting a mechanical bond either, so that's why your paint wiped off.....You could've tried the Bulldog adhesion promoter, but i'm not sure that would've helped much either.

Sanding chrome normally leaves you with silver....but most chrome rattlecan paints just look silver or aluminum anyways, so I don't think it'd matter much.

The high dollar chrome paints are not only very expensive but difficult to use...as far as I know, all of them require you to spray them over a glossy black base....and i'm talking a mirror shine black base thats already been cleared buffed and polished....thats really where the mirrored chrome effect comes from.....so the process really wouldn't be feasible for use on crankbaits....certainly not cost effective.

HoK and Duplicolor both sold kits thru Walmart that contained three spraycans of paint...one is a basecoat black....one can was the candy or prismatic color, and the last can was clearcoat.....i've seen some nice projects painted with the stuff, but I don't know how it'd work on baits,but the kit was cheap enough, that it wouldn't break the bank should you wanna try......Alsa corp also sells their chrome paint in spray cans albeit they are still not very cheap and still have to be applied over a shiny black basecoat.

I think if it was me i'd go the foil route.;)