Balls

Couple Of Optional Tips

G'day all

Here are a couple of applications I use to improve finishes on some of my lures.

* The first one is when I want to improve the finish of a timber lure, once I have it sanded to a smooth finish I dip them in Methylated Spirits ( I think you call it Denatured alcohol in the forum), basically if raises the grain on the timber & you can then give it a fine finish sand before sealing, this was an old Joiner's trick we were taught when learning my trade, the Methylated Spirits dries/evaporates quickly so you can continue to work the lure soon after dipping.

**Note, don't place the lure in a Microwave or similar to quicken the process or you may have a hazard concern, also Methylated Spirits should not be used to clean your Polycarbonate Bibs, a chemiacl reaction takes place over an extended period of time, you will see hairline cracks forms & or the bib will just snap.

*Another cheap item to use on finishing lures, especially lures being turned on a lathe is the cheap cleaning pads used for washing dishing, in Aus they are generally dark green, about 150mm x 100mm, 6 to 8 in a pack, off memory I think they are called scotchbrite or something like that, they are chip as chips & provide a very good finish, hope the info helps someone out, cheers Balls.

G'day all

Here are a couple of applications I use to improve finishes on some of my lures.

* The first one is when I want to improve the finish of a timber lure, once I have it sanded to a smooth finish I dip them in Methylated Spirits ( I think you call it Denatured alcohol in the forum), basically if raises the grain on the timber & you can then give it a fine finish sand before sealing, this was an old Joiner's trick we were taught when learning my trade, the Methylated Spirits dries/evaporates quickly so you can continue to work the lure soon after dipping.

**Note, don't place the lure in a Microwave or similar to quicken the process or you may have a hazard concern, also Methylated Spirits should not be used to clean your Polycarbonate Bibs, a chemiacl reaction takes place over an extended period of time, you will see hairline cracks forms & or the bib will just snap.

*Another cheap item to use on finishing lures, especially lures being turned on a lathe is the cheap cleaning pads used for washing dishing, in Aus they are generally dark green, about 150mm x 100mm, 6 to 8 in a pack, off memory I think they are called scotchbrite or something like that, they are chip as chips & provide a very good finish, hope the info helps someone out, cheers Balls.

I never thought of using the scotch brite, good idea. But putting water or denatured alcohol, somethimes both, on guns stocks is a step in finishing American Walnut with a hand rubbed oil finish. Call it whiskering. After the whiskers raise the oil, either drying or non drying oil and usually linseed oil based is rubbed with very fine, 600+ wet paper and the ground wiskers and oil fill the pores of the wood. The wet product is wiped down with a clean soft rag and allowed to dry very well then after it is dry polishing compounds are used to produce everything from satin to high gloss. When it feels so smooth it has the sensation it is soft, your are done, polished well.

I love learning form members like you. I knew how to do that but untill you tweaked my brain I never would have done that to a lure. Thank you very much, I got an antique, has no $ value, pikie that is being refinished and I shall definately put to use what you just taught me.