wisconsin heat

Never Even Thought About Making Tackle In My Life!

i need help...what would be a good lure to start out with? i think a prop bait would be easy, but i really dont know what im talking about. so is their a book or something i could buy on how to make my own lures? also i checked out some of the wicked finishes u guys can paint! how much u think it would cost for all the gear for me to start custom painting my lures??

i need help...what would be a good lure to start out with? i think a prop bait would be easy, but i really dont know what im talking about. so is their a book or something i could buy on how to make my own lures? also i checked out some of the wicked finishes u guys can paint! how much u think it would cost for all the gear for me to start custom painting my lures??

First lure I made was a chug bug replica which is easy as compared to a most others. You can get a book called The Complete Book of Tackle Making by Boyd Pfeiffer which wil get you started. I don't do everything exactly the way he does things in the book but it is a good place to start as well as this web site. As far as cost goes making lures is sort of like fishing itself in that it is what you want it to be. Can be pretty costly, or you can approach it like I do and try to do everything as cheap as possible. My objective isn't trying to create works of great art but rather make practical working lures that catch fish and save me money over the store bought lures. Don't get me wrong now; I enjoy looking at the lures displayed on this site, these guys make great looking lures that I am sure catch fish but I live in an apartment on a budget so at this point my lure making is more about saving money than anything. As I say it is as you want it to be.

@ wisconsin heat

Funny , just yesterday I had answered to a similar question of a newbie in here , ...............don't you guys at least just take a brief browse through the forums before you post :?:) ?

Anyway ,.......... welcome to TU !

Check out this thread :

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/18414-newbie/page__fromsearch__1

good luck , diemai :yay:

The prop style bait would be a great place to start for a number of reason. First, you don't need to install a diving lip, which is often a thing involving only a little trial and error...not that hard, but a prop bait is clearly easier. Secondly, the body shape is not that critical on a top water prop bait. You could carve one with a knife and some sandpaper if you wanted to and it would run as long as you don't make the body too fat (which would prevent the prop from getting enough water to it to make it turn).

As far as the question of cost...if you are seriously trying to save money over the purchase of baits from a store, run away while you still can. This hobby is so much fun and SO ADDICTIVE that you will soon be able to rationalize the purchase of just about anything if it advances a bait toward the H20.