KelpKritter

Dick Nites And Bloxygen

I tried a sample of Dick Nites this past summer and really liked the results. Tried the SC-9000 from target coatings and liked the results but it appears to not have the qualities to withstand the fish I pursue. So I went ahead and ordered a pint of DN to try and work out the kinks in the storage between working with different batches of baits. I understand many like the use of Bloxygen to help retard the curing of the product in the can. I plan on dipping and my question is this; "If I dip and use the Bloxygen is it O.K. to drip back into the container or is this still a no-no?"

Thanks for the advice,

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Hey Kelp , once I get my DN , I pour what I need in a dipping jar & put the rest into a bottle, I give the bottle a few hits of Bloxygen & make sure its sealed tight , I even wrap the top in plastic & tape it up. Once I'm done dipping my baits I do the same with my dipping jar. I have no problems.

Mike

Edited by MikePaintsBaits

KelpKritter,

I will also be interested in others experience on this. I dont have history that others do with Dick Nites as its not available local in Aus that I am aware, however, I have been using a similar style product which recommends not letting drips get back into the can. I also dont have Bloxygen available, however, I have been using pure argon gas which you can buy here. Not an identical situation to yourself, however, very similar. To test durability I have deliberately been letting drips get back into my test jar and thus far I have not noticed any curing or changes to viscosity (been doing this for 2 months). The process I follow is,

1. Dip lure

2. put glad rap over the top of the jar

3. spray argon into the jar and apply rubber band on gladrap to seal

4. Apply the lid

5. Glad rap the lid with rubber band.

It sounds like alot, however, it is heaps quicker than spraying or applying 2-Pac in my option. It's only similar to your situation as I said, so it may not work for Dick Nites. For me it appears to be working and I will be interested in others thoughts or techinques.

Angus

Angus, it sounds as though you're using a product with properties just like DN, and have a good system worked out, and yes, what some builders refer to as "the storage hassles of DN", are often made to sound complex and intimidating, when in fact, the process takes longer to explain than actually do. The "laws" of Dicknite's topcoat usage are simple and straightforward, and they aren't forgiving if you ignore them, but I also find that it is quicker and easier to use than epoxy. The same can be said for the speed of applying DN with a brush, (which compared to epoxy is much faster) as it nullifies much of the speed advantage dipping usually gives.

The bottom line is that every topcoat has its own learning curve, and it is a good idea to learn to use more than one topcoat, in order to exploit the advantages of each one. I always use epoxy over foils and DN over the final paint and epoxy, and there is another learning curve to that.

As you guys who've been dipping have learned, the Big Key in putting the brakes on curing in the container, is replacing the oxygen with an inert gas and sealing it tightly. I use a couple wraps of teflon tape around the jar threads, and then finish with a wrap of Parafilm around the top of the jar and lid. Parafilm will not work on the inside of the jar, as the DN's solvent will melt it..

KK, I think you'll be happy with DN's durabillity, and the way it burns-in, to both the paint, and to itself in subsequent coats---It does not layer like epoxy, and thus eliminates the possibility of delamination.

Dean

When using the blogygen do you have to rig some way of adding it or can you spray it into an open jar and just cover it quickly? I really want to try this stuff but I don't want to screw it up.

Just set the lid on and lift it up just enough to get the Bloxigen tube in,spray and seal. I've been using Blox for 6mo on DN and it is great, no skinning over and no ruined batches.