mainbutter

How To Weight A Walk-the-dog Lure?

For a topwater walk the dog lure, what's your method for weighting?

I tried my hand at one back in the fall, and while it's alright it doesn't have GREAT action, it's pretty hard to get a good side to side cadence going. It's got some nice action to it, and will probably catch fish, but it certainly isn't a nice left, right, left, right etc action. when you try to walk the dog. It's got a fairly basic straight pencil shape to the body, like a jackpot or similar WTD lure but on a smaller ~4-5'' size. I think I may give one a bit more of an upward curve towards the tail next time.

I didn't really know what I was doing as it was my 2nd lure I ever made, I just basically only put ballast in the tail.

Edited by mainbutter

As a general rule, the more tail-weighted the tighter the WTD action of the lure. As you move the ballast closer to the center of the lure and the lure sits closer to flat on the water the wider the action gets. How easily the lure walks, to me, is more a product of the shape than the ballast, although it really is a combination of the two. For any given shape of WTD lure try making three initial prototypes: one tail weighted, one with ballast right behind middle hook hanger and one in between. Then you can tweak exact position based on which of the three you like best.

Tailweight it and it will walk...all you have to do is establish the center of gravity in the rear of the bait to make the front wag, and this will work with about any bait shape, whether floating or sinking, Now if you want the bait to glide side to side, as in large or smaller muskie-style gliders, the body shape and weight placement become a litltle more critical...but to simply make a the lure do the right, left, right, left, deal, rear weighting will get you there, even with stubby little poppers like I frequently make.

Edited by Lure--Prof

For gliding topwaters, like the Lunker Punker, I find that weighting them so they sit horizontal in the water, but with the tail down slightly, is the best. I weight mine so the bait sits with about 1/4 of the bait, the head, out of the water, but almost horizontal.

The deeper the tail sits, the harder it is to get it up and walking. On a smaller lure, that's not a problem, and small lures like spooks are usually worked with a tight walk the dog action.

But with bigger lures, if the tail is hanging down, trying to keep it up and walking/gliding is exhausting.

Borrow a Lunker Punker, and see how it works. It is the gold standard for big surface gliders, now that the 9" Pupfish is no longer made.