RayburnGuy

Need Advice On Using Crackle Medium

Can anyone steer me in the right direction in using crackle medium? Tried a bait with it tonight and followed the instructions on the bottle about applying a base coat and letting it dry. Then applying a coat of crackle medium and letting that dry. My problem started when I tried to spray a coat over the crackle medium. The problem being letting each thin coat set up enough to prevent drips and still applying enough paint to get good coverage. (gold base coat followed by crackle medium and then a white pearl over the crackle) When spraying thin coats and letting it set up enough to keep from running it would start to crack before I could get the gold base coat covered. By the time I built the pearl up enough to cover the gold I think the crackle had already done all it was going to do. Any suggestions?

thanks guys,

Ben

Rayburnguy,

I don't let my crackle dry all the way before I spray my top coat. I spray my top coat alittle heavier and grab my hairdryer. Be cureful with the hairdryer because it will leave bigger cracks then you may want. Hope this helps you out.

Do you just spray one coat on your top coat JLester? If so, how do you get enough paint build up to hide the base coat without letting the top coat run? That was what was happening to me. The Createx white pearl might have been some of the problem They seem thinner to me and more prone to sag or run. Should I try brushing it on?

thanks,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I got an unintended crackle when I was painting a bait with rattle cans.

I sprayed two coats of matte primer, and then a coat of high gloss black, before the primer had dried. The primer can said you could recoat anytime, so I figured the black would burn into the primer.

I think the gloss finish of the black had more surface tension than the matte primer, and that's why it crackled. I was actually pleased with the way it came out.

I haven't tried it with Createx, or any other airbrush paints, but the principle should be the same.

RG, I find crackle medium is extremely variable - the brand and how well it works, the base coat the crackle medium sits on, whether you should dry it according to instructions on the bottle or should leave it wet or damp when you spray the paint over it, whether to air dry it or heat dry it. etc. Bottom line, you have to experiment until you get the effect you want. I suggest you do both sides at the same time so that, whatever drying regimen you use, you will end up with 2 similar crackled sides.

Thanks guys. I can remember using crackle paint when I was a kid in grammar school, but that's about the extent of my knowledge with it. I'll just try different techniques until I either get something close to what I want or get sick of it and throw it in the trash. :teef:

thanks again,

Ben

One of your issues is the contrast between the colors you are using.

It crackles better when the colors are greatly different.. Gold and white are fairly close.

What makes the cracks is the drying or the heat, so as said here use the hair dryer to make the top coat crack, but carefully.

Another issue you have is that pearl paint has little pieces of pearl in it..

That makes it harder to crack because of the solid pieces in it.

Gentlemen,

Please bare with me as I am a new member as of 10 minutes ago. I could not resist reading all the posts regarding crackle paints. As a lure maker(hobby) of topwater creepers and globes, I was determined to find the best solution to get a good crackle paint effect. I used everything from folk art paints to other "crackle mediums". Although they worked, there was no consistancy with the crackle effect. So, after a bit of research, I found something of interest that you folks may want to try. Go to your local hardware store and buy a glue called "Titebond Liquid hide Wood Glue(brown bottle)". After your base coat, brush on this glue as is, in even strokes across the lure body(using a high quality 3/4" nylon art brush). You have to brush relatively quick to get the wooden lure painted. By the way, be sure the bottle of glue is at room temp. Let the glue dry for 15-30 minutes. Apply your createx paint of choice @ 20 psi. Crackling will start within seconds. The art of this technique is knowing when you have sprayed enough paint over the crackle base: the less paint, the less crackle: the more paint gives you larger crackles. Over-doing it sheds the paint while drying. Every lure turns out different. Be sure you wash the brush in soap and water for your next lure. I like using hide glue because it has a consistant crackle. Createx paint is wonderfull!!! Let me know if anyone has tried this technique. Good luck! Charlie