bassassasin88

How Many Coats?

Hey guys, I got a real simple one for ya. How many coats of Dick Nites should I use? Is one coat enough? Don't you lose all the texture with too much clear? Also, I have been using the cheap, little plastic kids paint brushes. Can I use a different brush? I was thinking the natural, hair paint brushes would leave hairs in my finish. It would be much easier finishing a bait with a larger brush. Do most of you dip, or brush on the clear? I kind of do both. I put it on real heavy while it is vertical and let it drip off the bottom.

I believe that most folks here at TU who dip DN only dip once for bass lures. It was recommended to me to apply 3 to 4 coats if I was brushing it on and then putting the bait on a lure turner. Was also told to use a natural hair brush when brushing DN. The solvents in the DN will dissolve plastic or nylon bristles and that in turn will contaminate the finish. Here's a link to what several folks advised me to do. Including one message by Dick Nite himself.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/18336-dick-nite-and-brush-cleanup/

Ben

In that earlier thread, Riverman reports his problem with ruining good hair brushes via solvent, while I have never encountered that problem. I can only guess that perhaps he's soaking his brushes in solvent? When I clean my brush after using DN, or epoxy, I pour a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the concave bottom of an areosol can or soft drink can and dab it around, repeating until the alcohol remains clean, which is usually 2 or 3 repeats. After the first dab, I'll squeeze the bristles with a paper towel over the trash can. When finished with the alcohol, I give the bristles a quick wash with Dawn dish soap at the kitchen sink, rinse, shake out, and hang to dry. If you're in a hurry to dry it quickly, use some newspaper, as it is lint free and oil free, which is why it also works well for cleaning the glass in your pick-up truck...you do drive a truck, don't you!?!?

:lol:

Dean